Ways to store a semi load of DDG

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
A lot of folks buy wet by products, dump them outside, and then feed them in a permanent dry lot with a TMR or a front end loader. I don't like to haul manure so I usually feed purchased grass hay along with one to two pounds of protein per day on pasture. Last year I bought and repaired an older gravity box with a cover to bucket feed DDG out of.

Now I need a good way to store a semi load of DDG until I transfer it into the gravity box. Augering in and then out of a metal grain bin seems like a lot of work. Not sure what it would cost to set up a bottom unloading bin. Any tips on an commodity shed or other low cost ideas???

to solve your prob is very easy.just pour you a concrete slab 20 by 20.an put plywood sides 4ft high on 3 sides.an use tarps or heavy plastic an tires to cover it up.

It makes sense to put wet cake outside, but I do not think dry DG would stay that way with a tarp and a slab. Have you tried this?

I have seen a few commodity sheds put up with 12' to 14' wide bays. Not sure I want to invest that much...

The extension guys are pushing wet cake in silage bags. This makes sense if you have access to a mixer wagon to blend the input, and then plan to keep using it every day once the bag is open.

What are the dumpsters called that they put on the back of a truck and move around? There open on the top and the door on the end opens up. I'm thinking there about 16' x 8' x 7'.

I know someone that gets them with holes in them patched the holes and brace up the end with the door. I don't know what he paid for them. He puts about any bulk grain in them but with DDG I'm not sure about getting the door shut with out it all running out.

yes ive seen it dumped on the bare ground.an not covered up an fed with buckets.been there done that.an it really works.had a friend build a slabb just like i told you to store the ddgs.so yes it works good.

bigbull338":dtk5e3lx said:
yes ive seen it dumped on the bare ground.an not covered up an fed with buckets.been there done that.an it really works.had a friend build a slabb just like i told you to store the ddgs.so yes it works good.

I wonder if the difference in environment might make a difference is how well it keeps.

you know the climate may have something todo with it.when we was feeding it it was winter.an you could see the heat rising off the pile.an you could put your hands deep in the pile an it was nice an hot.a good way to warm your hands up.

Best way in your climate likely is a 20 ton hopper bottom. I don't know prices any more, but new will be pretty pricey. Any chance you could find a used one? Maybe a couple of smaller ones? We are going to fill ours with our transport auger, hauling it in with the hopper bottom trailer. A building with concrete floor would work, but that isn't going to be too cheap, either.

The guy i buy mine from backs the truck in a bay of his pole barn.
Puts down some cheap tarps and unloads it.
He feeds about 600# a day with 5 gal buckets and 50# sacks.
He runs about 400 head of stockers give or take a pot load.
Says he could go out and buy a fancey feed wagon but he would worry about selling it if he
quit feeding cattle,this way if he quits he stacks the buckets in the corner and if he starts back just go back and get the buckets.
Hes been doing it this way for 30 years and is the about the only cattle man i know that makes money year in and year out. Market up or market down.

jbar":3fazoxwu said:
Says he could go out and buy a fancey feed wagon but he would worry about selling it if he
quit feeding cattle,this way if he quits he stacks the buckets in the corner and if he starts back just go back and get the buckets.
Hes been doing it this way for 30 years and is the about the only cattle man i know that makes money year in and year out. Market up or market down.

Thats what I am talking about!

Latest posts