Waygu on Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Just remembered this article I read about Japanese beef production and Japanese Black Cattle.

Just remembered this article I read about Japanese beef production and Japanese Black Cattle.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Daughter had the waygus tested for something or another and it came back... Tenderness score 6 and SCD gene is VA. Does anyone know what this means...................She's the brains behind the marketing for the waygus, but for now they are just heifer bulls.

I've seen 13:1 for Jersey steers. Wagyu probably isn't that bad, but closer to it than conventional beef cattle.
I most Jerseys I have seen do better than the Wagyu that I have seen.

You will go broke if you feed Wagyu like they do in Japan. Those cattle are a minimum 3 years old at slaughter. That is how they get that marbling. If you feed a pen of commercial angus for 3 years you will get all Prime.
The ones I was feeding were 9-10 month old registered bulls which are sold for breeding stock. All of his F-1's get sold to someone who feeds them. Agri-Beef operates several big feedlots in the PNW. They do a lot of beef export to Japan. They own and operate Washington Beef a 1,200 head a day kill plant. I have been told that one day a week they kill nothing but Wagyu, which I assume all goes straight to Japan.

You will go broke if you feed Wagyu like they do in Japan. Those cattle are a minimum 3 years old at slaughter. That is how they get that marbling. If you feed a pen of commercial angus for 3 years you will get all Prime.
Excuse me, but did you read the link you posted?

The carcass testing was done on 26 month old Wagyu steers.
The marbling photo was from a 27 month old Wagyu.
And the link states in 2009 the most common practice in Japan was slaughter at 29 months. (that's a minimum of over 2 years not 3)

While the Wagyu marbling is beyond visionally impressive, the reason Kobe beef can't be produced from other breeds is the Wagyu's genetic predisposition to
monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) verses other breeds high genetic composition of Saturated Fatty Acids. - 2011 study by the International Congress of Meat Science and Technology - August 8-12, 2011 Ghent, Belgium

Last edited:
Daughter had the waygus tested for something or another and it came back... Tenderness score 6 and SCD gene is VA. Does anyone know what this means...................She's the brains behind the marketing for the waygus, but for now they are just heifer bulls.
The tenderness score is on a scale of 1-10 and the most desirable SCD gene is AA with VV being the least desirable. The scd gene relates to MUFA - monounsaturated fatty acids composition in the fat/meat.
1/2 of the offspring would carry the scd gene as VA when your Wagyu is mated to other breeds and 1/2 would be VV. So while all the offspring would be 1/2 Wagyu, half of them would not yield the benefits of MUFA.

Last edited:
The 'A' allele of the SCD gene is associated with a 'buttery' flavor, and, IIRC, a lower melting point for fat... contributing to the Kobe beef eating experience. So... as SoB says, AA is most desirable.
That's what I heard, anyway... never ate any, and with only one cow ;eft and semen still in the tank, I'm probably not buying any Wagyu or Akaushi semen to breed one to eat.

The 'A' allele of the SCD gene is associated with a 'buttery' flavor, and, IIRC, a lower melting point for fat... contributing to the Kobe beef eating experience. So... as SoB says, AA is most desirable.
That's what I heard, anyway... never ate any, and with only one cow ;eft and semen still in the tank, I'm probably not buying any Wagyu or Akaushi semen to breed one to eat.
I've never had any either.. Wouldnt have even considered getting them, but we needed heifer bulls and they were cheap..