Way to go Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
A new Texas bill that is set to take effect by September 2009 will require applicants for food stamps to submit themselves to drug testing before being granted eligibility.

The bill, which is set to be entitled "An Act Relating to the Eligibility and Drug Testing of Certain Persons Seeking Food Stamp Benefits", has four sections. Section 1 discusses the terms in which drug testing will be used as a prerequisite to food stamp eligibility.

Prospective applicants convicted of certain offenses as described in Section 1, Subsection (b) of the bill for a five-year period before applying for food stamp privileges must submit to drug testing. If the test gives a positive reading for controlled substances and prescription drugs that the applicant does not have a prescription for, the applicant is deemed ineligible for food stamp privileges.

The ineligibility will last for a period of one year, after which the applicant may then reapply. He or she will then be required to submit to additional monthly drug tests. Monthly drug tests will also be required of eligible applicants while they are enjoying the benefits of the food stamp program.

If a person is determined as ineligible, he or she is informed about the results of the testing and the proposed denial of the application for food stamp benefits. A second drug test or any other appropriate method deemed reasonable will then be administered to confirm the initial findings. The applicant will also be given the opportunity to be heard publicly regarding the drug test results before a final denial is imposed.

The Food Stamp Program in Texas is managed by the Texas Health and Human Resources Commission to ensure that even low-income families and individuals within the jurisdiction of the state are able to buy food for nourishment. Food stamp benefits usually last for a 6-month period, but can be given for as little as a month or as long as three years.

The benefits are enjoyed through the Lone Star Card, which is used like a credit card to pay for food purchases. The monthly food allowance awarded to the family or individual is stored in the card's account.

Read more: http://hometestingblog.testcountry.com/ ... z0QxNjZ6Og

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I bet the people in Austin are all upset about it. :lol:

There's another group that needs to be weeded out. Next time you're in a grocery store, just pay attention to how good we feed the illegal aliens. The Lone Star Card buys a lot more food for them than the regular tax-paying citizen can afford.

But, it's a start........... :tiphat:

I'm sure that someone will challenge this in the courts. But it is a start. While they are at it, they need to look at folks who sell their cards. I know of some folks who do that. They get them fraudulanty and then sell them. There will always be folks who abuse the system.

Lammie":g47jtp8o said:
I'm sure that someone will challenge this in the courts. But it is a start. While they are at it, they need to look at folks who sell their cards. I know of some folks who do that. They get them fraudulanty and then sell them. There will always be folks who abuse the system.

Seems that most of them around here that sell them do so in order to buy drugs.

Great job to Texas for doing this!

Food stamp program is a good one-I get 71.00 a month-enough to feed me if I careful,but of course I spend more than that right now.. You should sit in a Food Stamp office sometime.. Jewelry,cell phones,kids games'stuff I can't afford--Now to be honest,some of those things could have been bought at the thrift shop,lots of my stuff is---but--

peg4x4":3fmn7a5f said:
Food stamp program is a good one-I get 71.00 a month-enough to feed me if I careful,but of course I spend more than that right now.. You should sit in a Food Stamp office sometime.. Jewelry,cell phones,kids games'stuff I can't afford--Now to be honest,some of those things could have been bought at the thrift shop,lots of my stuff is---but--
The food stamp program was designed to help citizens that are down on their luck, those that have provided and paid their fair share of taxes. Every one could use some assistance some times in their lives. Peg, don't feel bad about the meger sum you get. It's those that never paid one cent in taxes and are not citizens that need to be weeded out of this program and sent back to their home land. It is the fraud that is breaking the system and it is not just in Texas.
Tom.

peg4x4":15qyk77p said:

Peg, you just don't know how to work the system. Don't know if this is still the case but those children that are running wild with all the toys, well they are money-makers according to my friend who works at the SS office. Get a doctor to diagnose the child with ADD or one of those catchey illnesses and you now have a disabled child worth $800/head/month. She said it was disgraceful.

what was that--some fancy name for the kid doing what you told him not to-not doing what he was told---Defiance somethingsomething--

Most of them there must have had that..

What does a drug test cost? Will the state wind up paying more to drug test everyone to weed out a few?

Frankie":fgzgcd6v said:
What does a drug test cost? Will the state wind up paying more to drug test everyone to weed out a few?

Little over $30 here at the office. The cost is likely to be transferred to the prison system and from federal to state picking up the tab.

peg4x4":25s6p4df said:
what was that--some fancy name for the kid doing what you told him not to-not doing what he was told---Defiance somethingsomething--

I think you're talking about Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD).Their parents didn't whip them enough when they were 2 and started telling the parents "no"; so now we all get to live with the consequences of the parents' inaction.

Texas Gal":3r20cald said:
peg4x4":3r20cald said:

I think you're talking about Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD).Their parents didn't whip them enough when they were 2 and started telling the parents "no"; so now we all get to live with the consequences of the parents' inaction.
That figures. :devil2:

Frankie":mk9zrp3t said:

Its a win win, either they save money and help someone get off welfare programs or they help motivate someone to get off drugs, can you really put a price on either accomplishment? Great idea!

That came up in MO and I don't know the reason why (I think perhaps it was the legality of it) but its never been voted on.

I think it will be hard for them to legally impose it and the reason I say that is because all food stamps come out of the farm bill, which is the federal government............. states administer the program so they pay the workers to process the applications..... but the actual food stamps are not state funded. Or at least that is the way I understand it.

Now if they would just do something about the illegal aliens getting government benefits in all states.

aplusmnt":1a96p788 said:
Frankie":1a96p788 said:

Its a win win, either they save money and help someone get off welfare programs or they help motivate someone to get off drugs, can you really put a price on either accomplishment? Great idea!

It's not just a few.

Latest posts