Way lot of grass-Way lot of seed heads

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
BAHAIA.
Man it is good and thick, and the heads are plenty. In the past I always topped before putting stock on. Now I'm wondering...Why?
Started doing it with horses. Don't have horses any more and I can't help but think I'm wastin time and diesel continuing to do it. Other than eyes is there any reason to continue topping the heads? Or is it better to let them "sow" the seeds? Seems like I'm cutting them out of some nutrtion as well?

I see no purpose in cutting the seed heads for cattle. Never had an eye problem with bahia but I guess it is possible.

cmf1":sq7ebcw4 said:
Or is it better to let them "sow" the seeds? Seems like I'm cutting them out of some nutrtion as well?

As for them sowing the seeds this could be a SLIGHT problem if you move them from a bahai field to a bermuda field as some of the hard coated seeds could pollute your bermuda stand. This is splitting hairs though as treatment for this is much more practical than the alternative. Besides that, cows aren't the only ones who eat the seeds.

As for nutrition - and I'm pushing the envelope here - I think you would be better off letting them have the grain unless of course you were running a "grass fed" operation since you are supposed to only feed grass and no grain. Or does this only apply to grains of corn? Or is grain grain? And is corn not in the grass family? :help: I'm confused. (just kidding)

Save your time and diesel.

Thanks Joe,
you get to doing something cause it seems to make sense when you start doing it and then dain brammage just kinda sets in. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Thanks for the slap on the back o' da head.

Now I need to know your theories on loose minerals vs tubs. Don't loose minerals have grains of salt in them? :?

cmf1":33xv2uyg said:
Other than eyes is there any reason to continue topping the heads? Or is it better to let them "sow" the seeds? Seems like I'm cutting them out of some nutrtion as well?

Once grass has gone to seed it becomes rank, stops growing, the stems are thicker and tougher, it loses protein, and the cows don't eat it as well as when it is growing and more tender. I would either continue topping it, or work my grazing out to where the cows were turned in on it prior to it seeding out.

msscamp":567h2urr said:
cmf1":567h2urr said:
Other than eyes is there any reason to continue topping the heads? Or is it better to let them "sow" the seeds? Seems like I'm cutting them out of some nutrtion as well?

Once grass has gone to seed it becomes rank, stops growing, the stems are thicker and tougher, it loses protein, and the cows don't eat it as well as when it is growing and more tender. I would either continue topping it, or work my grazing out to where the cows were turned in on it prior to it seeding out.

I agree but bahia will put out seed heads withing a matter of days of topping.

Throw a couple of donkeys out there. They will eat the seed heads above everything else. They must think that they're candy the way they eat them here.

Yessir, it's a 6" carpet of dark green Bahaia salad under the heads.
I guess That's why I started topping in the first place.
Without considering geography and variety, most places it's common to top when there's heads covering the pasture.
But after I thought about it, I had just topped this pasture 12 days before asking the question.
Wonder if there's any money in farming Bahaia seed?

cmf1":fwukderf said:
Yessir, it's a 6" carpet of dark green Bahaia salad under the heads.
I guess That's why I started topping in the first place.
Without considering geography and variety, most places it's common to top when there's heads covering the pasture.
But after I thought about it, I had just topped this pasture 12 days before asking the question.
Wonder if there's any money in farming Bahaia seed?

I think it used to be until everyone realized all they needed to do is feed the hay. Two birds with one stone. ;-)

Latest posts