Watusi, Watusi cross

Help Support CattleToday:

bluesky10":2305e9xd said:
Well if your bashing my cattle I dont mind. I dont plan to make a herd of them, rather just have one cow to give me a calves to raise for my own meat.

That said I did compare my heifer to my brothers freemartin today. She looks nothing like his. His really does have not a vagina and no teats but looks just like the others in every other aspect.

My calf has a very distinct vagina, normal nipples and I know for a fact she wasnt a twin.

I wouldn't worry too much about them bashing the cattle, several do it pretty often, every time someone posts something that isn't their idea of what cattle are. If you raise what you want and have fun at it, you can't ask for more.

bluesky10-
Raise whatever the heck you want to. If you aren't raising mainstream generic black cattle it seems to get alot of these folks all bent out of shape. But hey, they need a little shaking up every once in a while. I have never owned a Watusi but have eaten Watusi burgers and they were quite tasty. Of course they tasted like my Longhorn burgers, lean and flavorful. Your calves look good. Post more pics of them as they grow. Take care.

bluesky10":36252onl said:
Here is a better idea what adults look like. That bull isnt a very good example.

319962_168956826518502_168931299854388_369476_1380469848_n.jpg

I'm wondering if these horns developed naturally for survival?

They almost seem too big to be effective for defense purposes.

stocky":in940lrj said:
I keep a small bunch of 20 watusi cows.
Benefits:
They make great pasture ornaments---LOL. My Dad loves them and they get alot of attention grazing out by the road.
I have a brushy, weedy pasture and they thrive on it.
I have a really bad fence around this pasture and because they bunch together, I have not had one get out of the pasture in the 7 years that I have had them.
All of them cost under 300 dollars each.
Breed them to a charolais bull and you get a real nice yellow calf that sells well. I just sold 8 last week that weighed 525 and the bulls brought 1.25 and the heifers 1.20 per pound. I sold them 60 days early due to drought. I usually have some over 600 lbs. right off the cow. I have 10 yellow babies and 2 springers and that will be my June crop to sell.
The cows are not very big---avg 800 lbs, so they do not eat very much.
No one dares to go into that pasture because they are so intimidating, but they are very gentle. However, when you are working them in a pen, they are tough because they bunch up and it is hard to seperate them. They are much worse than longhorns about bunching up together in a wad.
Disadvantages: None, with the way I use them.
A good charolais bull will correct almost anything. Keep up the good work, helll there's guys on here that can only dream about weaning 600lb calves...

Keren":3w0dmi2l said:
djinwa":3w0dmi2l said:
bluesky10":3w0dmi2l said:
Here is a better idea what adults look like. That bull isnt a very good example.

319962_168956826518502_168931299854388_369476_1380469848_n.jpg

I'm wondering if these horns developed naturally for survival?

They almost seem too big to be effective for defense purposes.
I was actually thinking the same thing

Actually, they are bred to have extra horn growth. Most breeds are bred to have smaller and smaller horns instead. The original horn size and shape can be seen in italian maremma, hungarian gray, scottish highland, and so on.

I wouldnt chance them not to be able to use them defensively... if you were born with a half once weight on your head and it incresed as you aged it dont take any effort for a polled animal to flip a car up on two wheels

They can be just like anything else agressive. I have seen cows get agressive when trying to pull the calves. I have also seen some nasty steers, worse then the bulls.

They almost seem too big to be effective for defense purposes.[/quote]
I was actually thinking the same thing[/quote]

Actually, they are bred to have extra horn growth. Most breeds are bred to have smaller and smaller horns instead. The original horn size and shape can be seen in italian maremma, hungarian gray, scottish highland, and so on.[/quote]

I've read they developed not only for defense but as a cooling system, blood cools as it flows through those huge horns.

redcowsrule33":3ha9vbw4 said:
I've read they developed not only for defense but as a cooling system, blood cools as it flows through those huge horns.

There are shorthorned and polled or dehorned cows in hot country too. There might be such an effect, however I would call it marginal.

Hi there I'm a new computer user so bear with me but I just got a 2 yr. old Watusi/Longhorn bull this spring and I'm using him to breed my pure angus heifers. anyone have any experience with this cross?

ohiosteve":1xh1u74a said:
Hi there I'm a new computer user so bear with me but I just got a 2 yr. old Watusi/Longhorn bull this spring and I'm using him to breed my pure angus heifers. anyone have any experience with this cross?

Normally the polled gene from the angus would dominate and so calves would not have horns. Unless there's something different about Watusi.

I assume you want the calves to have horns?