Watery eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
I'm having quite a bit of trouble with my black angus cows getting watery eyes that leads to the white ulster on the eye. I have taken several to the vet to get a shot in the eye lid. Thee are a couple more that I seen this morning that had the start of a watery eye . What can I do to help stil this? Anything I can mix with their feed or mineral to help. Do I need to feed more IGR? Thank you for the help

First, knowing the organism would be helpful. If the vet is saying that it is Pink eye, there is a vaccine for that. Then controlling the flys that spread pink eye.
Regardless, fly control can be the key to preventing many eye infections.
Also look at your pasture. Are they grazing in taller grass that are getting seeds ect into their eyes?
This is one of the reasons that some of us mow our pastures. Seed heads will cause ulcerated eyes also.

Vet called it pinkeye.. The pasture they are in is fescue. All of our outher pastures are the same so I realy don't think that the fescue seed is what is causing it. None of the other cows else where are having the same trouble.. Should I put in new fly tags or what? Thank you

If your fly tags are old, yes. Fly control is key to help prevent pink eye. They spread it from cow to cow. Personally, I would spray Vetericyn eye spray in everyone's eyes while you have them in.
And as often as you can.
You can also vaccinate for pink eye. Don't know about doing it if you have active pink eye, better ask your vet.

I always vaccinate mine I raise for pinkeye. I bought some from another guy and he must have not vaccinated them. Some don't even have fly tags. I will be ordering some to get in them as soon as possible. Thank you again

Are veterinary has a pinkeye vaccine made up of bacteria from local pinkeye cases. We are one of the producers who use this vaccine each year. Mel

How much aureomycin would you recommend mixing with 50 lbs of mineral? There is 32 heifers in this particular pasture

i went a got some mineral with aureomycin today and put it out for them... Also i ran the rest through the chute and fly tagged them in both ears. in this pasture i have 12 head that i raised and 20 that i bought, out of the 20 i bought i would say 80% of them have a white discolored pupil. Im going to call the guy i bought them from in a little and see if they were pinkeye vaccinated, I'm pretty sure they were not. The 12 i raised only 1 has had a watery eye and i know they were vaccinated. will Vetericyn spray clear up the discolored pupil or is it too late? what else is there i can do? i don't want to take them all to the vet if at all possible. that is getting very expensive. thank you for all your help

Veterycin has a spray especially for pink eye. (They also have one for wounds.) I do not know if it is too late for the white spots to clear up with treatment or not. Some do and some do not. It just depends on how advanced it is, and the damage that was already done.

There is also the medicated patches, which might be easier for you to avoid daily treatment. Veterycin requires frequent treatment. I would definetly also give injections of LA 200 or 300. Probably twice, 72 hrs. Apart.

The vet gave me some biomison (spelling) to give them. She said it would clear it up as long as it's not to far progressed. So tonight I will be running them all through our junky head gate and giving there shots. I hope it will help. Thank you all for the help

Tbrake":1ewkf9tb said:
The vet gave me some biomison (spelling) to give them. She said it would clear it up as long as it's not to far progressed. So tonight I will be running them all through our junky head gate and giving there shots. I hope it will help. Thank you all for the help
Bio-Mycin 200 is the same as LA 200. (Oxytetracycline.)
I like using LA 300 because I do not have to give as much. It will cause painful knots on their neck. Give only 10cc per injection site. Hopefully you have a good idea of their weight, you do not want to under dose them. You need 16-18 ga needles because it is thick.
Good luck!

Latest posts