Watermelon

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Anybody in the South got ripe ones yet? I bought a big one from a stand yesterday, a good one. Asked the kid if it came from Georgia, he didn't know. I suspect it came from Mexico or Columbia or someplace.

I am waiting for the local sweet corn to start on the side of the road ~ one of my very favorite things about summer!! :nod: Do you buy the ones with the seeds then (watermelon, not corn)?

Ahh maybe it was a Texas melon. I'm always curious. One of the reasons I like to buy from stands, the person working usually knows where stuff comes from.

Angie, I buy the ones with seeds. I guess one of these times I should try a seedless. Are they as good as the seeded.
Fresh sweet corn is a great part of Summer :D I don't like the wilting stuff sold in stores. I have a large patch planted and is growing very good. Still 3-4 weeks away. Once ready we will have it everyday until it gets tough. I plant different maturities at spaced plantings to keep the tender stuff coming. Then freeze about a hundred pints.
Do you want a VERY GOOD method of freezing corn. Learned it from my old Aunt last year. Tried it and the corn froze the best I've ever had.

Wiggens Farm is the grower here. Course he runs two other farms around the state that carry the lable too.

angie":2f2naiw2 said:
I am waiting for the local sweet corn to start on the side of the road ~ one of my very favorite things about summer!! :nod: Do you buy the ones with the seeds then (watermelon, not corn)?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wonder what seedless corn would taste like :shock: :???: :lol:

mnmtranching":22mm9d5r said:
Angie, I buy the ones with seeds. I guess one of these times I should try a seedless. Are they as good as the seeded.
Fresh sweet corn is a great part of Summer :D I don't like the wilting stuff sold in stores. I have a large patch planted and is growing very good. Still 3-4 weeks away. Once ready we will have it everyday until it gets tough. I plant different maturities at spaced plantings to keep the tender stuff coming. Then freeze about a hundred pints.
Do you want a VERY GOOD method of freezing corn. Learned it from my old Aunt last year. Tried it and the corn froze the best I've ever had.
Yes, the seedless are as good as the seeded ~ I was skeptical too at first.

Did you plant the bi-colored corn? I don't like sweet corn on the grill so much ~ but it seems to be the rage. I do not want you to go through the work of typing out your recipe for me, I won't do it ~ but I am guessing someone would really appreciate it. It is just SO MUCH WORK!!!! :help:

1982vett":wbw3qfsv said:
Wonder what seedless corn would taste like

I grew some last year in our drought. Never ate any, cows seemed to like it though.

mnmtranching":wbw3qfsv said:
Anybody in the South got ripe ones yet? I bought a big one from a stand yesterday, a good one. Asked the kid if it came from Georgia, he didn't know. I suspect it came from Mexico or Columbia or someplace.

They've been picking for a few weeks. Melons at roadside stands are down to $2, I can buy them out of field for $0.50 or get the ones with blemishes for free. I like the latter cause they more resemble my homegrown ones. :oops:

angie":wbw3qfsv said:
I do not want you to go through the work of typing out your recipe for me, I won't do it ~ but I am guessing someone would really appreciate it. It is just SO MUCH WORK!!!!

I want it it! And please be extremely thorough and use a lot of adjectives and make it wordy. I've got nothing but time on my hands today cause if I go outside I'm afraid I'll melt. Somebody needs to turn the thermastat down on this sauna cause its stifling.

This is not the type of recipe that requires a lot of typing. [although I type 80 words per minute, :? or is it 80 words per hour?]
Cut the corn off the cob raw and fresh.
Bring the kernels to a boil in a large pot with just enough water to cover.
Drain the corn and cool.
Add 1/2 cup sugar and a tablespoon of salt to a quart of water or the stuff drained off the corn.
To each pint of freezer bagged corn add about two tablespoons of the sugar salt and water mixture.
Then freeze, for some reason this cooks up just as good as fresh cut corn. :eek:
This will make 20 pints or so?

For some reason this sounds reasonable since one can preserve some stuff with sugar.

We blanch our corn on the cob before we process it. Seems to work pretty good. I really don't want to see another ear of corn for a while. Don't really care to see another pea but I don't have a choice in that matter cause its coming in fast. Once we get the peas finished all I gotta worry about is the okra, blackberries, cucumbers and peppers and we will be done. Or should I say finished.

Watermelons are sky high this year. Saw some in the grocery store the other day marked $4.95.....bet it wasn't any larger than a volleyball. Seedless were same price but smaller.

kenny thomas":i2bfjo3o said:
If you have to plant a watermelon seed to get a watermelon plant what do you plant to get the seedless?

You have to plant two varieties and they cross to form the seedless - least that's how they do it here. What happens is you mess with genetics. Seeded melons are diploidal. But if you treat the seed with colchicine the genes seed will become a tetraploid. If your breed a tetraploid plant (which has seeds) back to a normal diploid the resulting seed will be a triploid plant (seedless). Triploid plants are the mules of the plant kingdom and is your true seedless melon.

Latest posts