Watermelon

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a big nice looking melon yesterday, grown in Missouri. YUK :cry2: way overripe. :devil2: :devil2:

I just picked the last of my late planted melons. Black beauties and crimson sweets. Cut a crimson open for supper and it was pretty good. Haven't cut the beauts yet. All were kinda small cause I was a little slack in remembering to keep the water on them. :oops:

Now its time for the fall garden. Squash and peas.

Jogeephus":3utybu9v said:
I just picked the last of my late planted melons. Black beauties and crimson sweets. Cut a crimson open for supper and it was pretty good. Haven't cut the beauts yet. All were kinda small cause I was a little slack in remembering to keep the water on them. :oops:

Now its time for the fall garden. Squash and peas.

Had a good crop of Crimson Sweets that is just about over with. They were good as usual.

I planted some Sugar Baby's this year and they were very inconsistent. One might be good and one off the same vines tastes like crap. Don't think I'll plant those anymore but the housewives sure like the small size for keeping in the fridge..

They are what I call a "personal" sized melon, cause I can eat a whole one.... :lol:

Joe, can you get black diamond watermelon seed down there? Where I buy my garden seed they said they could not get them. Something about bringing them into the state. Did not know what they were talking about only they did not have them. We have a good melon crop this year. Picked two bushel of cantaloupe tonight. We only grow a few hills in the garden just enough for our own use.

hillrancher":vd2u6vdy said:
Joe, can you get black diamond watermelon seed down there? Where I buy my garden seed they said they could not get them. Something about bringing them into the state. Did not know what they were talking about only they did not have them. We have a good melon crop this year. Picked two bushel of cantaloupe tonight. We only grow a few hills in the garden just enough for our own use.

I'm not sure, haven't seen the black diamonds here. Most people carry the crimson type or whatever is hot on the market. Our local lady who sells seed has some of the older varieties cause this is what she is used too. I like the blacks. Heck, I like em all.

Here is a link to a seed place that has them though. I'll have plenty of black beauty seeds if you need any and would be glad to mail you some if you wish.

http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=15161 ... 1218507180

Yes, you can get Black Diamond seed at the local hardware store. I grew some this year. We ate the last one I had Sunday afternoon. I had put a 50lb'er by one of the air conditioning ducts in the house three weeks ago along with a 40lb Crimson Sweet. Ate the Sweet Saturday afternoon and the Diamond Sunday. The Diamond was one of the best watermelons I had all year. The Sweet was slightly overripe.

I was buying peas today and lo and behold I saw the black diamonds too. Gonna have to try some of those. Look good.

We grow Jubilee and Carolina Cross. We had one CC that weighed 81 lbs this year - it was not the largest but something got to the big one. The Jubilee usually gets in the 50 lb range. Both are very sweet! We just grow them for fun and to give to our friends.

gg4rebels":1gms7erq said:
We grow Jubilee and Carolina Cross. We had one CC that weighed 81 lbs this year - it was not the largest but something got to the big one. The Jubilee usually gets in the 50 lb range. Both are very sweet! We just grow them for fun and to give to our friends.

I got some CC seed around here somewhere. For those who have never seen a Carolina Cross I think this photo will speak louder than words.

carolinacross.jpg

Latest posts