watering station question

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
well we are in the process of installing our richie four hole waters.....I plan to place them along a fence line so I have two holes on each side....my question is when running the fence over the richie do you use just regular old fence or do you need to build something heavy duty to keep cows on one side from trying to head butt the ones on the other side of the fence......thanks for your time Chris.

I have 3 in fence lines and I placed wooden posts near each side and used wooden boards across the ball tanks. Not sure it was the best or easiest but easiest on me.

I have it both ways but have found the best way is to use wood. I break the fence on each end then put a board fence over the waterer. The good thing to is wood is a lot easier to manipulate than a fence if you need to change something like the water tank.

I put each waterer on a raised pad 4" higher than the surrounding area and about a foot larger than the waterer footprint to keep cattle from backing up to them and taking a dump in or on the waterer. I put a post on each side just outside this raised pad and cut out a heavy gage cattle panel to go up and over the waterer, splitting it between two pastures. You can put two posts and X bracing on each side for your fencing and a more or less permanent job. The panel can be easily cut to fill in the sides so small calves can't squeeze through and stapled to the posts. Make sure you leave enough clearance on top to service the waterer or put the panel a bit off center to access any top openings on the waterer. Good luck.

Jim

Jogeephus":1fujuuf0 said:
I have it both ways but have found the best way is to use wood. I break the fence on each end then put a board fence over the waterer. The good thing to is wood is a lot easier to manipulate than a fence if you need to change something like the water tank.
Just a thought....why not just run the wire thru and nail/lag bolt the boards over? Wouldn't have to install braces....

Latest posts