watering question

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have 150 hd. of stock cows, and a 250 acre corn stalk field for wintering. I have a well that is about 60' deep, but no pump or power there to get the cows water from it. What would be the most economical and easiest way to use this flowing (water is usually flowing out of it) well as my water source. I browsed the frost free nose pump, but they seem a little spendy for the amount of cattle that can readily use it. What do you all suggest?

I've seen a solar powered pump which could be effective for your needs. It generates enough power here in Canada even in the winter time...and you could always have a battery back up. The one here was actually a water bowl where the water ran back underground between animals to prevent winter freeze but in milder climates could certainly fill a tank year round.

With that many cattle, you need a reliable source of water! A 1000# animal will drink from 10 to 20 gal of water a day on average, depending on weather. 150 head will drink 1500 to 3000 gals a day!

Consider a 3000 to 5000 gal storage tank, and use a portable gas powered pump to pump water from well into tank. Use gravity flow from tank to fill water tanks for cattle.

On the other hand, if you have 150 head, you can afford to pump water! If not, sell some of the stock and use $$ to get water.

;-)

Latest posts