Watering pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
What are some good ways to irrigate pastures ? We haven't had any significate rain here since Feb. and the grass isn't growing as fast as they are eating it. I have 2 roughly 5 acres pastures along with a 10 acre field. i have water to all fields. But how should i put the water on the fields right now i have hoses strung out to sprinklers i purchased . What else can i do to irrigate these fields ? :cowboy:

I hate to say it but there is no way to economically water your pasture. It takes 27,154 gallons of water to equal an inch of rainall. Light waterings with a sprinkler will do more harm to the grass and your pocket book than just adjusting the stocking rate.

WELL, i'm just trying to keep it alive, i have my house on 4 acres. And we use simaliar sprinklers on the grass around the house. I have to keep it cut, Because we water once or twice per week other wise it would be all but dead. With the well I have, the cost for electricity isn't going to be much more. I filled up my pond of 1.5 acres X 7' deep. 40 days & 40 nights of running 24/7 plus regular use for the house and my bill wasn't much more so how many gallons do you think 1.5 acres @ 7' deep would be? the little bit I already watered, you can notice the difference. i have to do something or i'll spend that cost on feed :cowboy:

Since economics doesn't apply in your situation I'd just continue on the route you are going.

RICHARDL":3bsktsh8 said:
What else can i do to irrigate these fields ?

Might want to set up a reel irrigation system and pump out of the pond too.

If you can pump and spray 300 gallons per minute, I think you'd put an inch of water on that 20 acres in about 32 hours. If you are using water hoses and getting about 8 gpm, you're going to be a lot longer than that.

If you had my irrigation pipe and pump, you'd have to move the pipe several times. It would cost you about 28 gallons of fuel.

i had hoses. and 3 sprinklers in a line. could do about 2 acres per day. I didn't water during the heat of the day. just early & late. But we got rain this past weekend. Not alot but enough and you can already tell the difference. More rain predicted today and this coming weekend. So no worries for now. :cowboy:

RICHARDL":30c33h40 said:
i had hoses. and 3 sprinklers in a line. could do about 2 acres per day. I didn't water during the heat of the day. just early & late. But we got rain this past weekend. Not alot but enough and you can already tell the difference. More rain predicted today and this coming weekend. So no worries for now. :cowboy:

:lol: We got rain this weekend too. 2 inches, but as soon as it stopped I began worrying when it was going to rain again. :shock:

2" ISN'T BAD. It sucks when all around you there getting 4-5 inches. and we got 1" But i'm not going to complain too much we got rain. they are now back to putting rain in the 7 day forecast. afternoon type showers. I walked thru the fields and they looked pretty good after it rained. Hope to get more later this week. I did notice that a lot of bermuda was growing before we got the rain. Like the the rest of the weeds were dying but i could see sprigs of bermuda growing . so maybe something good will come out of that dry period. good luck :cowboy:

I got a little better than 2.5" and I can almost hear the grass growing now with sunshine and high 80"s.
Amazing the difference a good soaker makes.

OH YEA, define improvement, i doesn't take much where we are to get it going. usually once it starts there's no stopping it. Its just, it never started. a dry spring is definetly not normal for La. I hope we get more this weekend :cowboy: