Watering eye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My horse (21 year old bay quater horse gelding) has an eye problem also. His left eye only has been watering for the last day or so. The eye does not look really swollen or infected with anything. It just seems to drain a little and run down the side of his face. A neighbor of mine said the horse's nasolacrimal ducts are stopped up and need to be flushed. He showed me the little opening inside the horse's nostril that leads up to the eye. He instructed me to use a syringe and flush the ducts. Just wondering if anyone has ever performed this procedure. How many syringes of fluid did it take to flush the ducts out?

> A neighbor of mine said the
> horse's nasolacrimal ducts are
> stopped up and need to be flushed.
> He showed me the little opening
> inside the horse's nostril that
> leads up to the eye. He instructed
> me to use a syringe and flush the
> ducts. Just wondering if anyone
> has ever performed this procedure.
> How many syringes of fluid did it
> take to flush the ducts out?

Yep. I had a mare who needed tha now and then. Only took a 12cc syringe for her. I would get it about half in and the saline would squirt out her tear duct. I used sterile saline since I had that for my contact lenses.

I went out and bought a 60cc syringe from Tractor Supply. I figure that will be way more than enough. I also bought some flexible hose to put on the end of the syringe so I can get it into the duct inside his nose. I plan to fill the syringe with a saline solution, attach the 1 ft hose to it, insert it into the small duct in his nose, and inject the solution until it comes out the tear ducts in his eye. Is this how you did the procedure? Also, how long should it take before the eye clears up after I have performed the procedure?

> Yep. I had a mare who needed tha
> now and then. Only took a 12cc
> syringe for her. I would get it
> about half in and the saline would
> squirt out her tear duct. I used
> sterile saline since I had that
> for my contact lenses.