Waterers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm shopping for an automatic waterer and wondered what other peoples opinions are. Trying to decide between the open type and the ball type. This is in central Illinois so winter weather is an issue. It will serve just a few head (5-10). Primarily for my daughters show cattle. I plan on getting something with a heating element because of the low number of head. Also, what manufacturer do you like. I've been looking at Richie and Miraco. Thank you, Buddy

[email protected]

We really like the Nelson waterers "http://www.nelsonmfg.com/", thinking of replacing (throwing away) a Ritchie and replacing it with a Nelson

dun

> I'm shopping for an automatic
> waterer and wondered what other
> peoples opinions are. Trying to
> decide between the open type and
> the ball type. This is in central
> Illinois so winter weather is an
> issue. It will serve just a few
> head (5-10). Primarily for my
> daughters show cattle. I plan on
> getting something with a heating
> element because of the low number
> of head. Also, what manufacturer
> do you like. I've been looking at
> Richie and Miraco. Thank you,
> Buddy

We have Ritchie and Mirafount waterers and haven't had problems with either. Outside we have the ball type and the only issue is having to break the balls loose once in a while because of freezing. But usually the cattle can break them open themselves. There isn't too much to them really, so I would imagin they all would work about the same.

It is now recommended that you leave a gap between the ball and the seal of about 1/8th inch. Drool running back from the cow drinking is the main reason the ball freezes.

dun

> We have Ritchie and Mirafount
> waterers and haven't had problems
> with either. Outside we have the
> ball type and the only issue is
> having to break the balls loose
> once in a while because of
> freezing. But usually the cattle
> can break them open themselves.
> There isn't too much to them
> really, so I would imagin they all
> would work about the same.

I got a Franklin out of eastern Iowa that I like pretty well for design and price. Our winter wind and cold, is about like your's and I've found the most important thing is to provide some protection from the wind. We have two that are at a four-corners where four pens meet. They are higher than the pens and open from all four directions. I have to break the ice on them after a windy cold night. In a more protected area behind our barn I have a regular Rubbermaid tank with a heater that screws into the drain hole. That stays clear all the time, and the heater turns off if the water goes empty. I only have a few head on a 150 gallon tank, so it is easy to keep full.

[email protected]

> I'm shopping for an automatic
> waterer and wondered what other
> peoples opinions are. Trying to
> decide between the open type and
> the ball type. This is in central
> Illinois so winter weather is an
> issue. It will serve just a few
> head (5-10). Primarily for my
> daughters show cattle. I plan on
> getting something with a heating
> element because of the low number
> of head. Also, what manufacturer
> do you like. I've been looking at
> Richie and Miraco. Thank you,
> Buddy I'm in central IL too, and definetly agree with your decision to go with something with a heating element. Most times the ground heat is enough but those rare times when it gets to -20 it will be nice to have the heater.

Latest posts