Water ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I have a question. My neighbor an older gentleman that's been a cattlemen for a long time claims that if there's snow on the ground that cattle can keep themselves hydrated by eating snow. I believe that water is very important in order for a animal to maintain its body temperature. So I always try and brake ice at least once a day. But, half the time I swear it freezes back before they find it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks B&G

Many years ago when we started a cake wintering operation it was accepted that cows wintered on cottenseed cake would manage quite well on snow. They did ok but when they were put on water sure did blume up.I'm pretty sure that these older cows don't go to water much and look pretty good. Don't figure on only snow if you are feeding a lot of dry roughage. It just won't work! Also I'm not real sure about a grain cake or some other type of winter rations. Water is very essential for all things and a pregnant cow ,tuf winter, and maybe in not such good shape certainly could utilize some water.

My spring-calving cows and bred heifers are too lazy to walk the 1/2 mile to water, so they eat snow. Doesn't hurt them at all.

Those guys up north should know. I just hate to rely on snow for water. I have several springs on my place. They usually fair pretty well right around the opening. I use tank heaters for animals without access to springs.

There have been some head butting discussions on this board over this issue. I have always felt strongly that cattle should have access to water everyday. They can "survive" on snow, but it compromises their entire system from bringing down body temp, burning extra calories they need to go into calving healthy and (most importantly) maintaining a constant state of low level dehydration. It all depends on whether you want your cows to thrive or survive.

angie":116tgago said:
There have been some head butting discussions on this board over this issue. I have always felt strongly that cattle should have access to water everyday. They can "survive" on snow, but it compromises their entire system from bringing down body temp, burning extra calories they need to go into calving healthy and (most importantly) maintaining a constant state of low level dehydration. It all depends on whether you want your cows to thrive or survive.
Well said!

I was told that cattle eating snow was a learned trait. That being said, the amount of water my cattle consume on a winter day would equate to one he77 of a lot of eaten snow. Just not sure they would get hydration out of that.

angie":2id6935e said:

Thanks for the input. That's what I've always believed as well. I guess my neighbor can do what he wishes. He's to set in his ways for me to say anything. LOL. B&G

Actually I completely agree with Aaron AND angie.

Our cattle have access to water on a daily basis. I believe they should always have it available for maximum performance of growth and calf development. That is a belief and that is why we do it - I am not so sure the cattle always care about my beliefs though.

That being said .....

Right now they are in a field and have access to lots of round bales and are standing in about three feet of snow.

Cattle can get by on snow and do very well on it. As Aaron stated otherwise there would be a lot of dead cattle in the north. And a lot of dead deer and moose for that matter as well as almost every other type of critter in the bush including birds.

While we have cattle come to water on a daily basis, if you were to check numbers - and we have done this - the older cattle only come for a drink about once every two to three days.

The younger cattle come on a regular basis.

It seems as they get older they come to water less and less.

Lazy? Perhaps.

I think it is because they become used to the snow and they decide when they want to have a drink.

Just the opinion of an old grey haired guy who has some cows that always seem to be doing Ok despite the "harsh" treatment we give them.

Best to all

Bez

snake67":3are8gs4 said:
While we have cattle come to water on a daily basis, if you were to check numbers - and we have done this - the older cattle only come for a drink about once every two to three days.

Lazy? Perhaps.

I think it is because they become used to the snow and they decide when they want to have a drink.

Bez

Not to be arguementative but just because they're not coming to water doesn't mean they're eating snow. I've seen cattle moved into pastures that they've been in before and have had them take as long as three days to go to water when the temps are cool and that's with bone dry feed and no hidden water. I tend to think it's the older cows conserving energy by not traveling until they have to.

cow pollinater":2a2pghvq said:
snake67":2a2pghvq said:

Lazy? Perhaps.

Bez

Not to be arguementative but just because they're not coming to water doesn't mean they're eating snow. I've seen cattle moved into pastures that they've been in before and have had them take as long as three days to go to water when the temps are cool and that's with bone dry feed and no hidden water. I tend to think it's the older cows conserving energy by not traveling until they have to.

Actually you could be correct - but these cows have been in this small field for about three or more months now.

Lazy? Perhaps?

Thirsty? Obviously not.

Who knows for sure?

Certainly not me - but I do know this - the old girls come less often than the young ones.

And funny enough - when the weather warms up they come up more often for water

Cheers

Bez

Latest posts