Water

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to let mine drink a little before I began fitting, and maybe a little bit right before going into the ring, especially if its hot. It will probably be fine as long as they don't overdrink and get a "water belly". Don't deny them water if it is hot though.

if your calf is slab sided aka flat sided and you want a bit of spring to their rib heres what you do...
feed them alfalfa the night before a show no water. the nest morning let them drink a little and feed them their feed. do all your fitting and stuff then right before you go into the ring let them drink. not a tone but enough. that alfalfa will make them bloat a bit and when the water hits it boom youve got spring of rib.

And then if they don't want to drink, pump them. Just kidding...but seriously.

Cowboy 2.0":ptmfrrw0 said:
I've heard sprite works really good for that... ;-)

redluv":31y5zpwj said:
Cowboy 2.0":31y5zpwj said:

If your using a drench gun where your limited on amount then yes sprite works, never used it in a pump though, only plain water.

Cowboy 2.0":15ys9aut said:
redluv":15ys9aut said:
Cowboy 2.0":15ys9aut said:

If your using a drench gun where your limited on amount then yes sprite works, never used it in a pump though, only plain water.

Some friends of ours pump them with it. Obviously not to the amount you would use water. I don't know about it... since it fizzes so much in the rumen (which is the reason why they use it to fill them out).

TheBullLady":nujqbve9 said:
Am I the only one that thinks this might be wrong??
I think it is wrong, but I also think putting calves in a cooler room at 60 degrees and then taking them out to go to a show when its 90+ is wrong too. But, I see it as if my animal is equally as good as their's and they are doing this, I want to do what I can to stand a chance.

We always offer water right before they go in the show ring, you want them full, now you don't want them to slosh when they walk but 3-4 gallons gives them that full look.

I don't have a cool box but we put them in a covered, shaded stall with fans, swamp cooler and misters, depending on the heat, By using one a combination of 2 or all three I can get it 15 to 20* cooler than the outside. With either a cool box or fans as soon as the days start getting warm and the flies start buzzing those calves will be at the gate waiting to get inside that box in the morning.

On the day of the show, we feed the calf. Then give some wet beet pulp depending on how much they need filling. The only water they get will be right before they go into the show ring. That way they are thirsty and you can control the fill. That is provided that they will drink....

Latest posts