Water Water everwhere

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Raining every week since I can remember. 4 to 5 inches. On the news this morning showed people in Cleveland Texas flooded. Hope the Beard is okay and not another year like last year.

What a spring... several new leases have allowed us to completely empty the home place. There ain't a stinking cow here. And won't be till next spring at the earliest. Lots of cedar breaks cleared and kr pasture sprayed and plowed. I've finally after years of trying have good stands of planted klien and Bermuda grass. Haygrazer 18 " in some fields.already
Those of you where you get dependable rain are very blessed. It sure makes things easy.

hurleyjd said:
Raining every week since I can remember. 4 to 5 inches. On the news this morning showed people in Cleveland Texas flooded. Hope the Beard is okay and not another year like last year.

That's GB's neighborhood.
I have pasture that a mule ruts up much less a tractor.

Caustic Burno said:
hurleyjd said:

That's GB's neighborhood.
I have pasture that a mule ruts up much less a tractor.

I've gotten 17 inches in the last 5 weeks. Ground is amazingly solid compared to the swampy mush I had in January from just 2 inches accumulation.

Can't remember when we've had such a wet winter & now spring. On top of already saturated pastures & overflowing ponds, woke up yesterday morning to another 3.25". The watershed lake is 3/4 up the dam, lots of flooding, all the roads are destroyed. Even busted out part of the dam in the south pond, including a 600 lb. whistle, which I'm assuming is now somewhere downstream - can't find it. Another .58" yesterday afternoon & haven't checked yet how much more we got last night. Part of the turnpike is closed due to flooding as well as the highway leading in/out of town. We're supposed to work cattle Saturday but not optimistic we'll even be able to move the corral. Temps have plummeted from mid 70's to mid 40's and I'll be amazed if we get through this without another onslaught of pneumonia like we had last fall. Bitchy, much? And yet still better than being in a drought.

Was spraying weeds in the cow lots yesterday and noticed this.

If you used a cow trough as a rain gauge.....
2wda7pc.jpg

This is how much it caught since April.

1982vett said:
Was spraying weeds in the cow lots yesterday and noticed this.

If you used a cow trough as a rain gauge.....
2wda7pc.jpg

This is how much it caught since April.
They also make a good skeeter hatchery

they planted a lot of fields the other day here.. and then we got 6" in one night.

lots of fields will need redone

Not sure where the flooding in Cleveland was, but mother-in-law and 2 of my out of state kids saw it on the news and called to see if we were ok too. Splendora and Kingwood over on the West Fork got it pretty bad tho.

The river got up some but not nearly as bad as it has in the past.

I heard yesterday that the FM 787 bridge over the Trinity near Romayer was down to one lane again, as erosion on one of the approaches was getting bad.

greybeard said:
Not sure where the flooding in Cleveland was, but mother-in-law and 2 of my out of state kids saw it on the news and called to see if we were ok too. Splendora and Kingwood over on the West Fork got it pretty bad tho.

I heard yesterday that the FM 787 bridge over the Trinity near Romayer was down to one lane again, as erosion on one of the approaches was getting bad.

Seen the signage stating such at Rye yesterday. Looking west while driving Hwy146 you could see the river near Moss Hill off the hill tops.

It rained overnight on thursday night here.. first rain since.. early march I think? Fire bans are on, etc.. we'd gladly take some of that rain!

Thunder storm just moved through about an hour ago. 1.25 inches of rain in less than thirty minutes. Lightening knocked out the TV antenna. On the idea of baling green hay at its peak cannot do it because the field is to wet to hold up any machinery. Might get two to three days of sunshine and then back to raining. Some days 4 inches two days later 2.5 inches and now 1.25 inches three days later.

greybeard said:

Sister called a couple weeks ago after seeing a news cast.

Looks like we are being spared the inch we were supposed to get today. Did have a quick shower early this morning but it barely showed up in the gauge. Forecast is for an inch Tuesday now....