Water valves

Help Support CattleToday:

During the winter we use freeze proof waterers that are supplied underground

dun

use a hose and drain it each time what a pain eh

Herefordcross":1jkhh9zw said:
Just curious as to what the general poplulation on here does to prevent freezing from the water hydrant to valve on the water tank?

All of our tanks have underground lines that feed directly from the well. The 2 smaller automatic waterers have 2-300 watt bulbs in the lower part of them to keep the intake valves from freezing and one of the smaller pens does not have a water source, so the hose is carefully drained after filling the water tub.

WE were looking for some way of freeze proofing some hydrant to water valve in the trough connections as there is no electric there I guess we will continue draining hoses.

Herefordcross":2pb8msr0 said:
WE were looking for some way of freeze proofing some hydrant to water valve in the trough connections as there is no electric there I guess we will continue draining hoses.
Do you have one of those float valves that bolt/fasten to the top of the tank? Or an in tank valve? Could you build a plywood hutch over the exposed parts and fill it with cottonseed hull?
Wrap in burlap sacks? cut the water flow down so it runs most of the time? You might consider the tanks dun reffered to.
The one in my dam just keeps on working no fuss no muss.
Well tank clean out once every 5-6 yr.s
And last year the pond got so low the line got alot of settlement in it. That turned into a BezMedic story.

We use a hose, but to speed up draining it after each use, I drilled a hole in a rubber stopper, slid that over a blow gun attached to my compressor. Hold it to end of hose, blow air for 30 seconds or so until water is just dripping out.

Still a pain in the rear to do, but cost much less than what heating elements would cost up here in WI.

Just buy a frost free hydrant...not being a wise acre, it's what we use.
The valve is below the frost line and has a drain feature so that when it's shut off the stand pipe drains out.
They are rated as to the depth that you want them to be below the grade. We use the 4 foot models and haven't had a freeze up yet.
We still run tank heaters as we have below zero nights and most of our winter is below freezing.
Did have one of the girls flip a floating heater out and enede up with a cracked tank and a one hundred gallon ice cube.

If you run a hose into the tank you need to remember to pull it out when finished filling as the draining stand pipe will create a siphon that will drain the tank.
Hope this helps...Dave Mc

Latest posts