Water trough

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I just got a 1000 water trough and am filling it by pumping water from a pond.

How much bleach should I put in it to keep algae down and purify it in case it needs purified?
Also I have a jug of Iodine that I bought to spray on a sore cows foot and noticed it said to use to sanitize water. Again not sure how much and don't want to alter the taste too much and have them not drink enough especially with it being so hot.
I have lots of bleach, we use it in the pool,it's a lot cheaper than the "real" pool chemicals.
Thanks
Dan

Not sure about pond water, but when stationed overseas medical staff recommended we treat their in home water that was used for human drinking or cooking with 10 drops of clorox per gal water let stand for 20 min before using. I'll let you do the math. :D

The water doesn't need to be treated.

I haven't used a water trough since I was a kid. The last several years they have either drank out of a pond or a automatic waterer that I had built into the base of the dam. Depending on which field they are in.
I'm keeping them out of the ponds from now on. I always hate to see them standing in the water with it going in one end and coming out the other.

Unless there is something real bad in the water why treat it?
Millions of cattle nationwide are drinking foul stockpond water, I don't hear any problems with it.

mnmt

Millions of cattle nationwide are drinking foul stockpond water, I don't hear any problems with it.

mnmt

mnmtranching":1hja8nlo said:

mnmt

You might want to read this article - many others like it are available by doing a google search.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/glwq/archive_o ... un2000.htm

In addition to what this article states, cattle drinking from feces contaminated ponds is the fastest way to infect your herd with E-Coli.

I worry, and wonder about cattle drinking contaminated water, especially young calves. In a lot of pastures it's not practical to fence off Springs, ponds, Stock ponds mud holes, etc.

In my pastures we have wells and clean water supplied at all times in tanks with automatic water systems.

You know what? the darn critters still like going to the foul water. But they drink a lot out of the tanks to.

mnmt

Yeah, they do. All one can do is their best, especially when calves are added to the mix. I guess we are lucky in that respect - we don't have ponds, and puddles soak in fairly quickly - so it's one less thing to watch out for. :lol: :lol: Best of luck to you! :)

Lots of differences in soil, many places in the west, and range country there's a dam it seems on every coulee, or every 1/2 mile or so on each coulee. Soil conditions have got to be right however. I think its Betinite [sp] thats put on the bottoms of the ponds to help control seepage. Anyway there's 10's of thousands of foul stockponds out there. In many cases its the only source of water for cattle, when ponds dry up the cattle are relocated.

mnmt

I have 6 ponds and well water at the barn. The cows have been drinking and peeing and other bodily functions in these ponds for over 40 years. 3 of them are stocked with catfish and one with bass. These cows or the fish don't mine the poop. We have never lost a cow from drinking bad water in these ponds.

mnmtranching":2yyzl82v said:
Lots of differences in soil, many places in the west, and range country there's a dam it seems on every coulee, or every 1/2 mile or so on each coulee. Soil conditions have got to be right however. I think its Betinite [sp] thats put on the bottoms of the ponds to help control seepage. Anyway there's 10's of thousands of foul stockponds out there. In many cases its the only source of water for cattle, when ponds dry up the cattle are relocated.

mnmt

You're absolutely right. I, personally, would not do it - but there are a lot of people that would and do. Yes, Bentonite is used to control the seepage.

I use to haul water into a trailer park and health inspecter said to pour 1 cup of bleach to 2500 gals.

Roadapple":3h731q4x said:
I use to haul water into a trailer park and health inspecter said to pour 1 cup of bleach to 2500 gals.

:shock: Either I've seriously underestimated the power of bleach all these years, or I'm damn glad I've never been in the situation of having to have drinking water hauled in - I'm not sure which, though.

msscamp":109v3a8y said:
Roadapple":109v3a8y said:

:shock: Either I've seriously underestimated the power of bleach all these years, or I'm be nice glad I've never been in the situation of having to have drinking water hauled in - I'm not sure which, though.
If you lived in a trailer park and the well went dry I bet you'd be glad to have water hauled in. That's not the only treatment, it also went thru reverse osmosis in their treatment plant.

A pool is sanitized at 3 ppm of chlorine - it doesn't take much, but I agree with everybody, you probably don;t need to worry about it - get some fish.

Once in a while if we get a dead rodent in a storage tank we will throw a cup of bleach in for ~ 1000 gallons but that would probably be excessive for a trough. If you have a pool do you test? use your pool test kit to get 3 to 5 ppm.

I have a test kit . Didn't think about it.
Dumping some clorax in really cleared up the water.
Wasn't sure how many ppm to use for cattle- 3 to 4 should be safe? I think.

I know they drink far worse and probably prefer it, but it is too easy to sanitize it not to do it. Bleach is relatively cheap at Dollar General. $1.27 for a jug, used to be .97 a gallon, but they shrunk the jug and raised the price. (everyone not just Dollar Gen.)
Dan

Latest posts