Water Trough question?

Help Support CattleToday:

ZachinCO

Reaction score
My family just added a piece of land that we're thinking of starting our cattle venture on. The parcel is part of what was once a thousand acre working ranch for cattle.

On the land we found a watering system, but there are 4 concrete troughs each 90 degrees off from each other, sunk into the ground. The are partially covered in snow now so I can see them in their entirety, but wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this?

Here are a few pictures:

i-dnWzzSD-M.jpg

i-9m53LtZ-M.jpg

So, cattle grates were placed over the concrete to move/or keep from moving from pasture to pasture. That makes sense.

If we can get a long enough break from the snow, I'll dig them out to see if there is anything below ground level.

The round water tank tank also has a couple pipes inside. One just below the top of the tank, I'm assuming it's an overflow. The other I'm not sure of. I was going to snake it and see how far it goes. The closest stock pond would be a few hundred yards away if that's where it's pulling water from. There is no well that I can find close by.

Thanks for the replies. This place has been a great source of knowledge and info so far. Doing lots of reading and not a lot of talking for now.

I don't know for sure but the pic with the fence make me think the gaps were there so the could drive into these pastures without opening gates , if its a water trough im confused as to why its at ground level. a calf would drown in that

There is a standard round trough in the middle. What you described makes sense that you'd put a grate over these concrete sections and be able to drive from pasture to pasture.

Waterway65":2siut2bg said:
We're there fences leading there so each pasture shared a comman tank in the center?
Yes, the tank would be quartered if you look at it from overhead.

I'm gonna have to replace some of the poles that were torched at ground level, but that shouldn't be hard. Then it will have 4 pastures feeding the the water.

M-5":2cnwz0v8 said:
I don't know for sure but the pic with the fence make me think the gaps were there so the could drive into these pastures without opening gates , if its a water trough im confused as to why its at ground level. a calf would drown in that

That what I was thinking not a good water trough to easy for an animal to get in there and die.

Texas gates are what I always knew them as. You said they are 90* off from one another, are they all on a fence line?

Don't know what these things were used for. If they were intended to be water troughs then they should not have been set in the ground as these were. Sitting ON the ground would have been the proper way to install them. Don't think they were intended to be cattle guard supports either. Around here the cattle guard support is open at the ends - these are completely closed as in a container or something.

You could dig them up and sit them at ground level. Make sure to back fill the holes where they came from. Then there the issue of running a water pipe to them. :D

lavacarancher":35uckov9 said:
Don't know what these things were used for. If they were intended to be water troughs then they should not have been set in the ground as these were. Sitting ON the ground would have been the proper way to install them. Don't think they were intended to be cattle guard supports either. Around here the cattle guard support is open at the ends - these are completely closed as in a container or something.

You could dig them up and sit them at ground level. Make sure to back fill the holes where they came from. Then there the issue of running a water pipe to them. :D

I'd bet money they were for cattle guards. If you look closely at the pictures you can see the ledge on the left side that they would rest on. It's at about the same level as the snow, but it's plainly visible. The one on the right is probably under the snow so you can't see it.

And I have seen some that were closed in on the ends. In fact there's one like that at one of my rent pastures.

Dipping Vats? Run the cattle through them or swim them through while moving them to a different pasture maybe.

Supa Dexta":23i1cnou said:
Texas gates are what I always knew them as. You said they are 90* off from one another, are they all on a fence line?

Yes, they are all on a fence line. It's right down the middle of each concrete structure.

M-5":2ualbi37 said:
can you do a google earth screen shot of the setup
Here it is. I'm hoping the sun comes out enough over the next week to get in and get some measurements.

i-3x279zq-L.jpg

Latest posts