water snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

Plug the spring and fill in the lake.

dun

Tc":3dn1ecb6 said:
does anyone no how to get rid of water snakes in a srping fed small lake?~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

I'm not sure what snakes you are talking about but we've got tons of aqautic friendlies down here. Cottonmouths and some other kind we call "water rattlers". I let my two boys have target practice on them with an air rifle and 22 caliber pellets. They can only brag when they clip the head off. Wreaks havoc on the population.

Might try to turn out some thin alligators. If you've got plenty of help, might pay you to implant them if you can figure out a place to put 'em. If they're too high in your area, maybe somebody will come look at your snakes and try to work out a gain deal with you.

Snakes mostly eat frogs, rats, bird eggs and diseased fish. So target areas of tall grass near the lake edge and basking areas like low branches and logs. They also make nets you can set up around lakes to catch snakes. Target practice is the best way to control them but here in georgia its illegal to kill any nonvenomous snake. Contrary to popular belief there is no longer much of a water moccasin population in south georgia anymore, but there is a nonvenomous brown water snake that looks a lot like one. water snakes are actually beneficial to the fish population but not to the little old ladies with heart problems population. we have an alligator that patrols 3 of our ponds and he does a pretty good job of getting rid of the snakes but hasnt scared off the beavers yet.
isnt April snake mating season or is that may?

shotgun and .22 work pretty good. put you out a couple of perch traps too, the perch will get inside for the bait and the snakes go in after the perch, snakes can't get out and drown.

Given my love of snakes I'd go with dynamite and then do what Dun suggested and drain it and fill it in.

Makes me happy to live up north... at least wolves and bears are a big target ( although shy ones). I guess nobody will be skinny dipping in that water hole this summer....

As long as the habitat is therre, the srping and lake, you'll have water snakes. If you eliminate most of them that are there now, others will move in to take over the vacant niches. You'll either have to eliminate the habitat or learn to live with the snakes.

dun

They are pretty shy. A frequent visit with the air rifle keeps them in check prretty much. We don't see them very much anymore because of it.

CattleAnnie":24mb67ry said:
Makes me happy to live up north... at least wolves and bears are a big target ( although shy ones). I guess nobody will be skinny dipping in that water hole this summer....

A water snake is not going to eat me for dinner if I got stranded outside overnight. And I could kill it with a stick or the heel of my boot if necessary. I'd have to flex my muscles to scare away the wolves and bears.

Doesn't mean they aren't there, just that you don't see them. Around here it's snapping turtles.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2zx2k6tz said:
They are pretty shy. A frequent visit with the air rifle keeps them in check prretty much. We don't see them very much anymore because of it.

Truthfully we should only get rid of the poisonous ones. The others keep the frogs and other things in check. You hear about snake bit cows from time to time. Never happened to me.

dun":1civdp51 said:
Doesn't mean they aren't there, just that you don't see them. Around here it's snapping turtles.

dun

D.R. Cattle":1civdp51 said:
Now that's something I wouldn't mind having in a pond. Put out a turtle trap, snappers are good eating!

jfont":3hzvf5q8 said:
dun":3hzvf5q8 said:

dun

D.R. Cattle":3hzvf5q8 said:
Now that's something I wouldn't mind having in a pond. Put out a turtle trap, snappers are good eating!

Be sure to check your state's wlidlife code. In Missouri, some species of frogs and turtles are protected. Also, some are harvested by hook-and-line, gig, traps, and rifles. The method used can determine the type of permit needed. Or you can always do what you want and just keep it to yourself.

Latest posts