Water Line Question

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo":wk5zeqio said:
Someone told me if it gets really cold, the balls can freeze in around the edges.

If the ball/water height is adjusted properly the balls won;t freeze to the edges. They aren;t meant to form a seal.

dun

We have both a Ritchie and a Mirafount and like them both. The Ritchie is in the barn and is probably 25 years old, we replaced the float/shutoff valve once and added more insulation inside to keep it from freezing up. (New ones probably don't have that problem.) The Mirafount is outside and the balls have froze down 2 times in 10 years. Maybe they are not adjusted just right like Dun said, but either way not a huge problem.

I realize they aren't to have a tight seal, but the ice builds up, and builds up and builds up and this can happen over a day.... think of the cows drinkin, raising their head and that water dropping right on top of the tank... that slop can be froze before the next animal in line gets their turn. At least in my area, and pretty soon, there is a tight seal and balls are froze tight.

Also, our waterers are top of the hills and the wind howls, and it can get dang cold. Perhaps if our Mirafonts were southern exposed and blocked from the wind, they probably would of suited us fine.

Michele

mitchwi":2jjowmh6 said:
I realize they aren't to have a tight seal, but the ice builds up, and builds up and builds up and this can happen over a day.... think of the cows drinkin, raising their head and that water dropping right on top of the tank... that slop can be froze before the next animal in line gets their turn. At least in my area, and pretty soon, there is a tight seal and balls are froze tight.

Also, our waterers are top of the hills and the wind howls, and it can get dang cold. Perhaps if our Mirafonts were southern exposed and blocked from the wind, they probably would of suited us fine.

Michele

With the 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance that's recommended they don;t freeze up near as fast. But in really subzero weather with a wind I haven't seen any type short of one that has a heater in it that won;t freeze. I've even seen those freeze in really large tanks. The ice was just a skim but it was ice none the less.

dun

badaxemoo":3bj70jtj said:
I can't help you with the hauling water part, but tank heaters will do quite a bit as far as chopping ice.

I'd have to have one heck of an extension cord!

There is a way to get around that, I'm just not sure what it is. We recently had a tank heater installed in one of our tanks (at the time the tank was installed), and it doesn't require an extension cord. :lol: :lol:

Anyone here have anything positive/negative to say about those waterers with the balls covering the holes? Mirafount is the brand the local farm store carries. I'm thinking about buying one to try to cut down on energy costs. Someone told me if it gets really cold, the balls can freeze in around the edges.

Not yet, but we just installed one of those type waterers and it hasn't gotten cold enough for freezing to be a problem, yet. Ask me in a month or so. ;-) So far the horse has figured out how to work it, but we had to remove the ball for the weaning bulls to be able to drink.

Latest posts