WATER IN THE WINTER

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd say that's about right for mature cows.

I had to look it up to refresh my memory but 1-2 gallons per 100lbs of body weight per day for mature cattle, depending on temperatures. Lactating cows will consume nearly double the amount of dry cows.

Fresh water is one of the most important nutrients in a cow's diet, so personally I don't like to have anything less than free choice if at all possible. Also learned that our cattle drink from the pond as a last resort, so I try to keep troughs thawed whenever possible. I know every circumstance is different and sometimes this isn't achievable (especially in the winter), but I still end up thawing water troughs more than I'd prefer! :lol: :2cents:

M.Magis":1zxep823 said:
Does anyone have any experience with a 12v tank heater? I have my doubts about them, but have considered trying one. Obviously it wouldn't eliminate having to fill the tank daily, but would eliminate the ice build up which causes the tank hold a little less water every day.

12v? We use a 110 in a 300 gal tank.

We have well water various places on our farm. I have noticed that cattle, including calfs, will drink from a pool of dirty rain water when it is available instead of walking to the water tank. Which isn't more than 2-300 feet.

Luckily, my farm has streams that are always running in the winter, so there is no issue with freezing.

ClinchValley":yj9lyz08 said:
We have well water various places on our farm. I have noticed that cattle, including calfs, will drink from a pool of dirty rain water when it is available instead of walking to the water tank. Which isn't more than 2-300 feet.

Not that it's funny but I had to laugh. We had 3" of rain last weekend and I was totally shocked to see one of our bred heifers drinking out of a filthy pool of water right next to the stock tank. You know, the filthy pool of water they stand, pee & poo in while they (or at least the others) are drinking the good stuff. What the??

TCRanch":28euds7q said:
ClinchValley":28euds7q said:

Not that it's funny but I had to laugh. We had 3" of rain last weekend and I was totally shocked to see one of our bred heifers drinking out of a filthy pool of water right next to the stock tank. You know, the filthy pool of water they stand, pee & poo in while they (or at least the others) are drinking the good stuff. What the??

Yeah, it makes me cringe every time I see that. I once had a vet tell me that they prefer "flavored water". :yuck: