Water in the hole

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear

Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice from you expert cattlemen. I have a barn with a standard water hydrant and I am replacing with a Mirafount lil spring automatic waterer. I dug down a foot below the water line and now the hole is filled with water right up to, but not over, the incoming water line. I am not sure if this is ground water or if I have a leak in my water line upstream. I am only about 60 feet from my creek in this particular situation. I guess that's the first question.

Secondly, will the water effect anything? I am below the frost line in my area and have already made the decision to bring my electrical lines in half way up the heat tube (well above the water line and standing water) and silicone my conduit through the heat tube hole. What do you guys think?

I'n not an "expert cattleman" but have installed a few automatic waterers. You probably have ground moisture seeping the the hole, and if it is it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're below frost line.

One thing I'd add. Why not just move the waterer a few feet away from your hydrant, and leave the hydrant? Then you'd still have access to water for other use.

Dig another hole the same depth in the nearby vicinity and see if it fills with water to the same level and you'll likely have your answer as to whether the water is coming from..ground water or your water piping..

If you are on a well, shut off all of your hydrants and faucets, and watch your pressure gauge to see if it bleeds off.

D2Cat":1ozj5e4l said:
I'n not an "expert cattleman" but have installed a few automatic waterers. You probably have ground moisture seeping the the hole, and if it is it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're below frost line.

One thing I'd add. Why not just move the waterer a few feet away from your hydrant, and leave the hydrant? Then you'd still have access to water for other use.

That is a good point. I have another hydrant just outside the barn about 20' away we use to clean off our boots so for this application I'm ok eliminating this one

Farm Fence Solutions":1r8neph5 said:
If you are on a well, shut off all of your hydrants and faucets, and watch your pressure gauge to see if it bleeds off.

I can't believe I didn't think of that.

The other problem is God only knows where all they ran water lines. I have found them in other projects but they were abandoned. At least I can pressure check the whole system and see if my water in the hole goes down. We have the house on rural water and barns on the well. Thanks Fence

Latest posts