Watching the bulls...

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
is alot like watching people. I've got two bulls on my place this year. My heifer bull is real short and thick and about two and a half and my new herdsire who's only 16 months old. The heifer bull is on a paddock with my heifers and a few older cows on the west side of the property, and my herdsire is on the east side of the property with about twenty cows.There are quite a few bulls near to my place. I have one neighbors bull about 1/2 mile to the west, one straight across the road to the north and another kitty corner to the north east and all day long that heifer bull spends his time talking to those three bulls. I can almost hear him saying' If this fence wasn't here I'd come over there and kick your a** and then I'd take your cows and have my way with him.' He paws and poses and snorts. The funny thing is he's pretty small. The smallest of the neighbors bulls would have 300-400 pounds on him and I wouldn't doubt that the big Simmental down the road would be twice his weight. He seems to have 'little man' syndrome. He's really cocky. He was out with a big Tarentaise bull all winter and they used to fight at least once a day. The funny thing I saw this morning is that my herdsire is scared of him. He's quiet as a mouse and when the cows run to that end of the fence, he runs down and herds them back. Thre'll be two more bulls going in on the east side of him in a couple of weeks so I'll be interested to see if he tries to keep his cows in the middle of the paddock at that point. It's hilarious to watch the pair of them. One being so cocky like a little Italian and the other one keeping his girls away from all other potential suitors just like a jealous husband. They're just like big, four legged people.

Thats funny. I enjoy watching the personalities of the cattle.

Reminds me of a time when we had both our herdsires up close to the headquarters. They were about 150 yards away at the closest point. Both were in pens that had pipe fence and they would stand in the corners that were closest to each other and bawl and snort and paw at each other. They had been up for about a week and half when we got a call from the owner of the ranch that a bull had gotten out. Evidently he had busted up the gate to his pen and gotten down to the other pen. In less than the 30min it took us to get to the ranch they tore up 20yards of pipe fence and gotten in with each other. By the way they always snorted and bawled at each other we thought if they ever got together one would die. Wrong. They fought for maybe 10minutes then the bull that got out of his pen and into the other pen was diggin in the feed trough to see if anything was there. They were 50 yards apart and not payin any attention to each other, by the time we got there.

Ryan

A buddy of mine has a small bull who think's he's big. He got him about 2 years ago when he was a yearling, thought he'd get bigger, but he never did. He's about 3 now and can't be more than 500 lbs.

Last year I thought I might want to get into the bull fighting (rodeo clown) occupation, so I got in the pen with the little bull. He sure was fistey - and quick - turns out I'm not quick enough to be a bull fighter ;-)

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com