WATCHING CATTLE??

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
I have an opinion question. I had an Uncle whom past away last dec. 08. he had 15 or head. His wife & daughters are still alive and still do need or want this cattle. well a problem came up with land issues between one duaghter and my Aunt. To make a long story short they have 72 hours to move the cattle off a 10-15 acres or so to a 5 acre tract they use for a hay field and it has no water. I was going to offer my 10 acres to move them to until this can be resolved. but i also have cattle, problem is. And they are 1.5 hours away. Am i running into problems by offers this? what about my cattle? in other words Should i help them out. Not sure if this is a good ideal. for my cattle. they have bascilly a mixed heard. I run Angus/ brangus Vaccinated cattle. not sure they do. :cowboy:

RICHARDL":294kyd3t said:
I have an opinion question. I had an Uncle whom past away last dec. 08. he had 15 or head. His wife & daughters are still alive and still do need or want this cattle. well a problem came up with land issues between one duaghter and my Aunt. To make a long story short they have 72 hours to move the cattle off a 10-15 acres or so to a 5 acre tract they use for a hay field and it has no water. I was going to offer my 10 acres to move them to until this can be resolved. but i also have cattle, problem is. And they are 1.5 hours away. Am i running into problems by offers this? what about my cattle? in other words Should i help them out. Not sure if this is a good ideal. for my cattle. they have bascilly a mixed heard. I run Angus/ brangus Vaccinated cattle. not sure they do. :cowboy:

I know your heart is in the right place, but you really should be careful about bringing in diseases or other problems. Find out if they've been vaccinated, insist on getting rid of the nutcases, and go from there.

How will the widow take care of the cattle? Is she capable of hauling hay and feeding them in the winter or will it cost her more than they're worth? It was very difficult for my mother to sell Daddy's cows when he died, but, looking back, it was the best thing to do.

Yes, I'm wanting to help them out. but i'd be looking after them until something is worked out, And thats either me haul them back or to a sell barn.
And i doubt they are vaccanated. well i believe the daughter told me they didn't want to get rid of them as she uses that for a income. But I agree with you on that. sell em and be done with it. I hate to put myself in the middle of a family dispute like this one. I just want to help them out as much as i can.
thanks for your input helps :cboy:

In situations like this it is usually best not to make quick decisions under a lot of pressure. Buy yourselves some time.

Why not move the cattle to the 5 acre tract for a short time. Buy a big stock tank and pay someone local there to bring them some water once a day or so. Maybe also buy some hay if needed. You can check on them once a week or so.

This will give you and the uncle's wife and daughters some time to decide rather than under duress.

If they come around to selling them you can get quotes from a number of buyers and not have to sell them quick in the next 72 hours. You will almost never get a fair price when you are under that sort of time pressure to sell. I would also have a vet come out and walk through them and give you his recommendations.

Best of luck. I'm sure they will appreciate your help. They have to come to the final decision to sell or some other alternative. I would set a time limit in this though, like 30 days? Jim

Just my opinion, but I have learned some hard lessons dealing with family. I would stay out of it. Plus, I would want to save my grass for my own use. Never mind the disease issues. Just tell them you are sorry, you would like to help, but don't have enough pasture to do so without putting your own herd in jeapordy. If they get upset, they will get over it in time. If you get in the middle of it and things go sour, that could last forever. Just my opinion, good luck either way.

I may sound harsh but giving someone feed to tie them over is one thing,,,,,,,,bringing in strange animals that are not from a vaccinated herd with some sort of herd health protocol is another..

I would look into options for them to rent land closer to where the cattle are at this time ,hopefully they will decide to sell the existing herd until they are more equipped to manage it.

The whole situation is very heartbreaking and I can tell how much you truly care about your family. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

For now move them to the 5 acres and they will have to haul water, they can hire someone or buy a water tank for their cattle. Once they look at the time or cost involved they probably will decide to sell.

Yeap, pretty much what i told them, make use of the 5 acres tract for now. get them water, how ever possible, and see what happens, And when things are settled make a decison based on that,
thanks for all the friendly advice. :cowboy:

Latest posts