Watch the winter front...

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo

Reaction score
Just a quick warning to watch what you enclose your tractor in for the winter. I've used carpeting for decades, but last night, 20 minutes after I shut the tractor down, I saw flames shooting up over the tractor cab. Good thing I caught when I did, otherwise the tractor would be a write-off. As it is, all the wiring is burnt off, all the hoses and belts are gone, melted the batteries and it got into the dash and broke all the gauges. I suspect the steering hand pump is probably shot from heat exposure as well.

Just a word of warning to ensure whatever you're using for a winter front and sides are fire-proof...

Rod

Yeah, another bonehead move on my part: I was certain that tractor was on my insurance policy, but after I got everything doused and surveyed the damages, I checked the policy and the danged thing wasn't on there. Oh well, I like my old 1130 so I couldn't let it burn :)

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":2mddv043 said:
Yeah, another bonehead move on my part: I was certain that tractor was on my insurance policy, but after I got everything doused and surveyed the damages, I checked the policy and the danged thing wasn't on there. Oh well, I like my old 1130 so I couldn't let it burn :)

Rod

Rod

In my part of the world we tend to use the equipment of other farmers quite a bit - we all swap out - which keeps costs down.

If you do this make sure you have a rider that covers you when you use their equipment.

It is cheap - less than 100 bucks per year - most Canuck companies will have it but they tend to not mention it and I have used it once - glad to have had it at the time.

Cheers

Bez+