Wasting Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

gg4rebels

Reaction score
I have a tray with a raised edge that we set up in the barn that we put hay on for the calves. I don't think this is the best way to give them hay. They are wasting so much. All suggestions on how to make the hay available to the boys would be appreciated. They will not eat it once it gets on the ground. Thanks, Gale

Keep your tray , but above it on the wall build a rack with slats so they have pull the hay out to get it , if some falls on your tray they might still clean some of it up.

I haven't tried it yet, but the neighbor uses old metal gates, the tube kind, and straps them to the side of the barn. He puts the bottom tight on the barn and runs about three foot of strapping out at the top of the gate to the side. You can't put a whole bale in but the flakes will fit easy. It's wide enough for the calves to put their heads or at least their tongues through to get a mouthful at a time. Looks funny but he had a bunch of busted up gates and he's been using them this way for about four years. :)

Feed it in a feed bunk or a barrel (half barrel), it should stay in there better. If its inside you shouldn't have to worry about it filling with water and getting wet.

gg4rebels":hwqpd3sr said:
I have a tray with a raised edge that we set up in the barn that we put hay on for the calves. I don't think this is the best way to give them hay. They are wasting so much. All suggestions on how to make the hay available to the boys would be appreciated. They will not eat it once it gets on the ground. Thanks, Gale

Buy or make (google hay feeder plans - there are quite a few plans out there that are pretty good) a feeder that they cannot pull big chunks of the hay out of. Wire a piece of plywood to the top 1/3 of the hay rack (that will help keep the leaves in the feeder, instead of them falling out on the ground), and only feed them as much as they need according to their body weight/will eat in a set period of time.

We always feed ours as much as they can eat. It changes with the weather. If it is cold they eat more and when it is warm they eat less.
Are they leaving some in the tray? If they are then cut back some on the amount you are giving them.
A small amount is fine, but if there is a lot then most definately cut back.
Some will spill it on the ground and then use it for bedding.

We always feed ours as much as they can eat. It changes with the weather. If it is cold they eat more and when it is warm they eat less. Are they leaving some in the tray? If they are then cut back some on the amount you are giving them.
A small amount is fine, but if there is a lot then most definately cut back.
Some will spill it on the ground and then use it for bedding.

They are not leaving any - they are pulling it to the ground and then they are peeing and pooping on it so they will not eat it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think we can solve this problem quickly!

gg4rebels":q330aczo said:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think we can solve this problem quickly!

When you are short or marginal on hay, and the mud is getting deep, you figure out a way to cut waste. For me it was hay cradles. They cut waste from about 30% with rings to less than 10%. When my round bales were about half eaten, the cows would push the rings over the bales. I tried to tie them with T-posts. Then I saw caustic burno's hay cradles and thought of the old trampoline frames I had. I simply plagiarized his design as best I could and it worked great for me.

Latest posts