wasp nest

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Found a really neat/huge wasp nest at the edge of one of the astures. The question is, how do I kill it without destroying it so I can cut it down and scare the crapoola out of people with it?

dun

You could wait until the first killing frost, which given the recent temps cant be far away.

dun":1j9djxn2 said:
Found a really neat/huge wasp nest at the edge of one of the astures. The question is, how do I kill it without destroying it so I can cut it down and scare the crapoola out of people with it?

dun

In mid August the wasp start getting pretty tame.You could go out at about dusk and while they are resting and hit them with a wasp spray, and have very little chance of getting stung. Be sure to wear light colored or white clothes as wasp are not attracted to white. last year in about Mid Augusr my sad who is 89 put his hand on a wasp nest that had only one wasp on it and the when he moved his hand the wasp was on his finger and flew away.
Just today we were loading some cattle in a trailer that hadn't been used in a while and had a nest on it loaded with wasps. When the cattle went into the trailer the wasp started flying about and never stung anyone.
I am not afraid of them at this time of year but do what you want at your own risk.

To get rid of a wasp nest, especially around the house, I will mix up some soap in a cup or pitcher and throw it on them. Just pour some dish-washing soap in a pitcher or cup, add water and let it sud up, and then throw it on the nest/wasp's. They will drop like weights, and it doesn't hurt your house or whatever you're throwing it on.

TXBobcat":3ldingob said:
To get rid of a wasp nest, especially around the house, I will mix up some soap in a cup or pitcher and throw it on them. Just pour some dish-washing soap in a pitcher or cup, add water and let it sud up, and then throw it on the nest/wasp's. They will drop like weights, and it doesn't hurt your house or whatever you're throwing it on.

The main thing is I want to be able to get the nest down later and have it look completely normal. If I don't care I just hose it down with wasp killer on a freezing morning, knock it down and drive over it with the truck.

dun

dun":1sizfc4y said:
...so I can cut it down and scare the crapoola out of people with it?

LOL, now that's incentive! This might be a crazy approach (just dawned on me and I've certainly never tried it) but it might work??? If the nest is low enough you might sneak up at night when all the wasps are on the roost and freeze them with a fire extinguisher.

We all look forward to hearing about how you collect the nest and especially about the fun you have with it.

Craig-TX

I wonder if eathir ( I have no Idea how to spell it) would freeze them

of course it would be even scarier if the wasps were still on it........wonder if you could spray some show adhesive fast enough to have them stick without getting stung?

Craig-TX":2r04aa37 said:
Dang this is getting to be fun enough that somebody's fixing to get hurt.

Craig-TX

Nah. Wasp's are tame at this time of year.
Stay away from them in March and April though.

You can sure tell how things are different around the country. Up here the wasps start flying backward this time of the year so they can sting you faster. In March and April I would be hard pressed to even find one.

Dave

I was thinking more in terms of explosions. I can see Dun sneaking out one night loaded for bear and accidentally scorching the back 40 down to bare earth. When the air clears he'll be standing there with a perfectly intact wasp nest, just slightly smoking.

Craig-TX

txag":27h3tdms said:
of course it would be even scarier if the wasps were still on it........wonder if you could spray some show adhesive fast enough to have them stick without getting stung?

Wouldn't that be funny; Having a bunch of Yellow Jackets all stuck together and all trying to fly in different directions. Reminds me of the time when we were halter breaking a bunch of yrlg. bulls. Put the halters on and tie the lead ropes together and try to lead them. They would get halter broke pretty fast. Oh well I better have another Screw Driver.

Ether won't work. It doesn't even poison them, Kill 'em, them spray them with ether and light then on fire. THEY started it.

Dun, if you can stretch a cord to the nest take the vacuum cleaner and put the hose just under the hole of the nest. With your other hand pat the side of the nest to get them agitated.

P.S. Let us know if it works! :cboy:

Maybe I should get kerry out here to stand near the nest. his personality vacuum would surely suck those little buggers out of the nest

dun

Totally off the subject but the above made me laugh

Old Sull, and old fart who is a great story teller tpld this tale,

He had a hen house and a large owl was plucking his hens, so he got mad one night and jumped the owl with a sack, took the owl out and poured fuel on it and lit it, well the owl went to jumping and flying and went up then came down while on fire and set the dry hay patch on fire, several acres burned before he could get the fire out

Very cruel to do to any animal yes, but can't you just see it happening, it is really horrible but makes you lauygh till you almost fall out of the chair