Wasn't someone on here from the south, looking for some Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

I realize I cant make a judgment based on my experience yet.
But!
I've had 2 Herefords. (Sale barn bought)
The first one raised a great calf. She never bred back with the rest of the herd. 3 years old and feet went to h-ll too. Bag was so-so.

The one I have now looks pretty good. I haven't pregged her. Shes in good shape. Raised a nice lil black hereford looking calf for her first. Udder isnt that great but functional. Long skinny teats, smallish to medium bag. Made adequate milk. We will see soon if she gets to stay. Really easy to get along with, a bit standoffish tho. I raised her on pasture from a weanling.

I watched a very long time herd sellout in Enid Oklahoma last year I think it was. These were registered animals from a very long time breeder north of Enid.
The older cows looked terrible! Bags were terrible. Feet were terrible. And the eye problems, holy carp!
There was a bunch of younger stock as well that mostly sold as pairs. (They did a very good job sorting at the barn)
The younger ones looked ok, but nothing to write home about.
I have a hard time believing this ranch was improving the animals much. Just breeding more bad traits into the herd for decades I guess?? Idk.

Anyway. I was not impressed.

Surely the hereford breed has come along better than what I've witnessed. I do know that a standout top quality hereford animal is kind of hard to find from what I've seen.

My bull came from a small breeder down by ada ok.
His animals looked pretty dang sharp!
All mamas were horned with the old style curved downward horns from being weighted/trained I presume. Hes sold several breeding bulls that I'm aware of. I'm pretty pleased with the bull I bought from him. Hes polled/scurred. I've had no horned animals out of him.
On my mutts, he does make a pretty consistent calf. Tho, with mutt cows, there can sometimes be more white than I like.

So to conclude my rambling thoughts...
Surely my experience with herefords is very limited??
Is there better animals out there that breeders have improved to consistant udders/milk. Good feet. And less eye issues.

Or have most of them done like the above mentioned, now defunct breeder?

The ones above look nice, but no horns or feather neck white. And quite a bit of eye pigment. Maybe they will hold up well!
Find someone with enough cows that they don't make time for problems. For the most part Horned Herefords have better performance but you had better learn how to remove horns at an early age. I sold bulls for a friend for twenty years and the only response I ever got when asking a potential customer why they were using polled Hereford bulls was that " I don't have to dehorn" So many of those pop eyed apple heads up here never produce a calf that will grow.

This Saturday, headed over near Gadsen to the Horned Hereford sale to check out the F1 Brafords they have in the commercial cow sale. Next week, up to Tenn for the Black Hereford sale, then Nov 7th is the polled Hereford sale on the Ga- Ala line, that has some F1 cows and heifers in it. My client wanted 150 Braford and/or F1 Br x Hereford cows, but man, I don't think I can find them by the time the row crops are done next month. We are shooting for 30 right now, and 30 Hereford and Black Herefords, and 30 Brahmas...60 short of what he wants to run, but we are going to get 90 or so Corrientes as well. We have 84 left in the "kudzu" herd, but good thing is they will all have Ultrablack calves in February. The F1s in these sales are all bred to a damned Hereford...some to a damned horned Hereford, so we will have to get rid of some worthless calves, losing a year before we can get back on track. The only open F1 Bra x Herefords are only 8 mos old. The Brahma cows I have located, though are bred to Hereford and Angus bulls, at least. The more I think about it, and the more I look for them, the more convinced I am that someone could do well producing F1 Br X Hereford heifers.
Here you go. Plenty of what you're looking for. I'll buy you lunch.

Would love to go. But my third job is I work for an auction company and we are selling a business and all contents next Saturday.

You are right about that! We are about to leave Gadsen. Only F1s here are bred to horned Herefords, so we'd have a bunch of calves that would be basically worthless, and we'd lose a year doing what we want to do with them. Thanks for sending this, @callmefence . It is 14 hours from us, but we are thinking it would be worth the trip. We just registered to bid online, just in case, but we gonna try to make it. We'd leave Thursday and look them over Friday. Lots 11,13 and 18 would just about get us where we want to be.

Why is that, Kenny?
I just don't even like the looks of them. They are Hereford X Angus. Great for steers but not for bulls.
It's a fad. The only 2 people around here raising them are hobby farmers. One was into Limo's and I bought him out. Then he tried longhorn and I bought them out. Then Angus and I let another guy buy those. Now the Black Hereford.

I just don't even like the looks of them. They are Hereford X Angus. Great for steers but not for bulls.
It's a fad. The only 2 people around here raising them are hobby farmers. One was into Limo's and I bought him out. Then he tried longhorn and I bought them out. Then Angus and I let another guy buy those. Now the Black Hereford.
Well, they were developed from Hereford and Angus. But, they are their own breed, just like Brangus isn't Angus X Brahman, or Gerts are not Brahman x Shorthorn, etc. From what I have seen so far .,since fooling with them the last couple of years, they are infinitely superior to red Herefords. They have the only trait of Herefords that is worth anything...their docility, especially as new mothers. But, they do not have the bad eyes, feet and udders of red Herefords. A BH bull that is homozygous for back and polled, will even get rid of the sh*t when bred to a red Hereford cow. You can breed a horned Hereford to homozygous for black and polled BH cows, and get black , polled calves as well. People with commercial Angus cows, which may be heterazygous black and will drop a red baldy calf with a red Hereford bull half the time, will get black baldies 100% of the time with a BH bull. And, when bred to a Brahman, you get black and white F1 Brafords every time, with no tiger striping. But in answer to your question about the Corrientes? You know what I think is most profitable. I'd take 8 Corriente cows over 1 of any other breed of cow every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!

Not gonna go to the BH sale in Blountville this Saturday, if we end up going to Texas to other sale @callmefence posted. These is one BH bull in that sale in TN we are gonna get someone to bid on for us, if we go to Texas. My wife had a death in the family last night, and the funeral is Thursday, so that may stop me from physically going out there. We had wanted to get there Friday and look at 3 lots in the catalogue, but we got set up to bid online just in case. We had hoped to go in 2 trucks pulling two 36" aluminum stock trailers. ( 32 feet of animal space as they both have a 4' tack room). There are 91 head in those 3 lots, so we'd still have to contract to get over half of them hauled back here, as we could haul about 22 heifers each. But if we don't go, and buy all of those online, then we'd have to get them all hauled here, adding to the cost per cow.

Lots 51, 62 and 123 are three more we will look at. That would be a total of 36 more so that would be 2 more trailers. IF we got them all, that would be 127 head total, so 6 trailers...4 we'd have to hire. I would love to get them all...I'd be done with this client. It is 15 hours and 1000 miles each way. So a day going, and a day coming back. At least $800 in diesel per truck round trip. If he and I did it ourselves, we'd be looking at 3 trips each, 5 days at least, and about $5000 in fuel for the 6 trips. Plus, if he and I did it, we'd have to pay to board 80 of them from Saturday to about Monday, and pay to board the other 40 something till Wednesday. Reckon how many would fit on a double decker 18 wheeler, and what that would cost for a 1000 mile delivery. I have no idea....have never used one in my life.

Well, they were developed from Hereford and Angus. But, they are their own breed, just like Brangus isn't Angus X Brahman, or Gerts are not Brahman x Shorthorn, etc. From what I have seen so far .,since fooling with them the last couple of years, they are infinitely superior to red Herefords. They have the only trait of Herefords that is worth anything...their docility, especially as new mothers. But, they do not have the bad eyes, feet and udders of red Herefords. A BH bull that is homozygous for back and polled, will even get rid of the sh*t when bred to a red Hereford cow. You can breed a horned Hereford to homozygous for black and polled BH cows, and get black , polled calves as well. People with commercial Angus cows, which may be heterazygous black and will drop a red baldy calf with a red Hereford bull half the time, will get black baldies 100% of the time with a BH bull. And, when bred to a Brahman, you get black and white F1 Brafords every time, with no tiger striping. But in answer to your question about the Corrientes? You know what I think is most profitable. I'd take 8 Corriente cows over 1 of any other breed of cow every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!

Not gonna go to the BH sale in Blountville this Saturday, if we end up going to Texas to other sale @callmefence posted. These is one BH bull in that sale in TN we are gonna get someone to bid on for us, if we go to Texas. My wife had a death in the family last night, and the funeral is Thursday, so that may stop me from physically going out there. We had wanted to get there Friday and look at 3 lots in the catalogue, but we got set up to bid online just in case. We had hoped to go in 2 trucks pulling two 36" aluminum stock trailers. ( 32 feet of animal space as they both have a 4' tack room). There are 91 head in those 3 lots, so we'd still have to contract to get over half of them hauled back here, as we could haul about 22 heifers each. But if we don't go, and buy all of those online, then we'd have to get them all hauled here, adding to the cost per cow.

Lots 51, 62 and 123 are three more we will look at. That would be a total of 36 more so that would be 2 more trailers. IF we got them all, that would be 127 head total, so 6 trailers...4 we'd have to hire. I would love to get them all...I'd be done with this client. It is 15 hours and 1000 miles each way. So a day going, and a day coming back. At least $800 in diesel per truck round trip. If he and I did it ourselves, we'd be looking at 3 trips each, 5 days at least, and about $5000 in fuel for the 6 trips. Plus, if he and I did it, we'd have to pay to board 80 of them from Saturday to about Monday, and pay to board the other 40 something till Wednesday. Reckon how many would fit on a double decker 18 wheeler, and what that would cost for a 1000 mile delivery. I have no idea....have never used one in my life.
It's pretty easy. Figure 50,000 lb and probably $4 a mile. Lots of trucks go to Hereford TX that would love a backhaul and you might get a better deal.
Who is the owner of the BH that you are interested in? If it's the guy I know then bid online and I can arrange to get it brought to my barn and you get him when you can.

127 at
It's pretty easy. Figure 50,000 lb and probably $4 a mile. Lots of trucks go to Hereford TX that would love a backhaul and you might get a better deal.
Who is the owner of the BH that you are interested in? If it's the guy I know then bid online and I can arrange to get it brought to my barn and you get him when you can.
127 head @800 lbs would be 101,800 lbs. So 2 trucks, about $4k each. $63 per head. I'd rather we did that than spend 6 days, and driving 6 thousand miles each. Have to see what the client thinks, but he is 70 years old so he'd probably hate us hauling them as bad as I would.

Lot 6 is the BH bull we might buy. Consigned by JH Cattle. Do you know them? Thanks for the offer to get it for us. Might have to take you up on that. And if we get any Brahma heifers at the Texas sale that are on Fescue, I will let you know. If there is, and there are some you want, then you can get them at what we have in them.

127 at

127 head @800 lbs would be 101,800 lbs. So 2 trucks, about $4k each. $63 per head. I'd rather we did that than spend 6 days, and driving 6 thousand miles each. Have to see what the client thinks, but he is 70 years old so he'd probably hate us hauling them as bad as I would.

Lot 6 is the BH bull we might buy. Consigned by JH Cattle. Do you know them? Thanks for the offer to get it for us. Might have to take you up on that. And if we get any Brahma heifers at the Texas sale that are on Fescue, I will let you know. If there is, and there are some you want, then you can get them at what we have in them.
I can probably hook you up with the trucks if you decide to go that way with the hauling

127 at

I do not know him but he lives near where the sale is and Is on the board of Tennessee Black Hereford Association.
The ones from here are lot 9, 11, 12 and 25

127 at

JH Cattle..... Thats me!!! Got any questions give me a call. I'll have my phone with me on sale day also if you want to call. If you make it out...... look me up. Todd Hampton

The sale is looking really good. Got some great bulls and heifers.

In addition to the BH's we have 3 commercial bulls (2 BH influenced and 1 angus) (3) 3-in-1's. all BH influenced (I believe they are bred back to a BH bull) and 2 more commercial bred heifers (black/white face bred back to BH Bull). Got a call today from a guy wanting to bring a BH yearling bull and 4 registered Red hereford bulls. Don't have any information on them yet.

JH Cattle..... Thats me!!! Got any questions give me a call. I'll have my phone with me on sale day also if you want to call. If you make it out...... look me up. Todd Hampton

The sale is looking really good. Got some great bulls and heifers.

In addition to the BH's we have 3 commercial bulls (2 BH influenced and 1 angus) (3) 3-in-1's. all BH influenced (I believe they are bred back to a BH bull) and 2 more commercial bred heifers (black/white face bred back to BH Bull). Got a call today from a guy wanting to bring a BH yearling bull and 4 registered Red hereford bulls. Don't have any information on them yet.
Warren, there is the best connection you could have. A respected owner of the bull. I'm betting he can make arrangements to hold him a few days and my lot is open if he can't.

Latest posts