Wasn't someone on here from the south, looking for some Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah, I looked at videos on their FB page. They have several black baldy cows and heifers in the sale as well. This is only about 45 mons-1 hr for me, so I plan on going there a day early and check out what they have.

I realize I cant make a judgment based on my experience yet.
But!
I've had 2 Herefords. (Sale barn bought)
The first one raised a great calf. She never bred back with the rest of the herd. 3 years old and feet went to h-ll too. Bag was so-so.

The one I have now looks pretty good. I haven't pregged her. Shes in good shape. Raised a nice lil black hereford looking calf for her first. Udder isnt that great but functional. Long skinny teats, smallish to medium bag. Made adequate milk. We will see soon if she gets to stay. Really easy to get along with, a bit standoffish tho. I raised her on pasture from a weanling.

I watched a very long time herd sellout in Enid Oklahoma last year I think it was. These were registered animals from a very long time breeder north of Enid.
The older cows looked terrible! Bags were terrible. Feet were terrible. And the eye problems, holy carp!
There was a bunch of younger stock as well that mostly sold as pairs. (They did a very good job sorting at the barn)
The younger ones looked ok, but nothing to write home about.
I have a hard time believing this ranch was improving the animals much. Just breeding more bad traits into the herd for decades I guess?? Idk.

Anyway. I was not impressed.

Surely the hereford breed has come along better than what I've witnessed. I do know that a standout top quality hereford animal is kind of hard to find from what I've seen.

My bull came from a small breeder down by ada ok.
His animals looked pretty dang sharp!
All mamas were horned with the old style curved downward horns from being weighted/trained I presume. Hes sold several breeding bulls that I'm aware of. I'm pretty pleased with the bull I bought from him. Hes polled/scurred. I've had no horned animals out of him.
On my mutts, he does make a pretty consistent calf. Tho, with mutt cows, there can sometimes be more white than I like.

So to conclude my rambling thoughts...
Surely my experience with herefords is very limited??
Is there better animals out there that breeders have improved to consistant udders/milk. Good feet. And less eye issues.

Or have most of them done like the above mentioned, now defunct breeder?

The ones above look nice, but no horns or feather neck white. And quite a bit of eye pigment. Maybe they will hold up well!

I would rather have a skinny pregnant Corriente than a fat , pinkeyed, prolapsed, big titted Hereford with a calf to dumb to suck
which is how I view most of them past 4 years old............

I've not had much luck with Herefords, and had the "better" bred ones I had (line one) were the worst. Lost my ass on them, did ok on the old farm herfs I used to have but not great. They'd raise a calf, which is more than I can say for the line ones but they didn't gain for shite, and neither did the calves out of my line one bull. I'm sticking with angus, simmental and any mixture of the two.

This gal and her first calf. She was bred to a bwf bull.
Screenshot_20210913-221316_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210913-221327_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210913-221422_Gallery.jpg
A bit of banana teats. But functional.
Screenshot_20210913-221438_Gallery.jpg
Shes bred to this bull this year. Bull is registered. She is not. Just a lil heifer I picked up and raised to breed. I bet the calf looks like a hereford when it gets here...
Screenshot_20210913-221458_Gallery.jpg
As I was taking this picture....
Screenshot_20210913-222556_Gallery.jpg
THIS was going on behind me.
December 24th last year. She should be along soon with a calf.
Screenshot_20210913-222606_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I have throughly enjoyed our Hereford cows over the past 9 years. Excellent mothers who raise hardy calves.

Must be the breeding behind them because it certainly isn't from anything I've done.
You had Victor Domino herefords correct?

If I was to buy any herefords, they would come from him. Never seen them in person, but they appear to be super consistent cattle that don't have the typical hereford flaws.

If I was to buy any herefords, they would come from him. Never seen them in person, but they appear to be super consistent cattle that don't have the typical hereford flaws.
Yes Sir. Danny Miller in Knifley, Ky. I'm running one of his bulls currently.

Herefords have done a lot of improving over the years. We run several commercial Hereford cows and have had overall good success with a minimum of the stereotypical Hereford problems. We have have had some of those issues but they have been limited to a few individuals and the ones that have given us pinkeye problems can be traced back to a particular bull. May not be the cool thing to say but in our herd we have had just as many negatives with Angus, registered and commercial as we have had with registered and commercial Herefords. I like both breeds and can confidently say there are good and bad in both.
If it wasn't for the dock, we would be happy to run straight Herefords.

Last edited:

Neighbor has a lot of Victor Domino lineage and they are beautiful, including the bulls. His cattle work for him and they do an excellent job.

Son bought a group of about 12 registered Hereford cows along with 4 crossbred Hereford. Only had an issue with 1 having balloon teats. Feet are all good , all milk good and raise good calves . Crossing on our angus bulls , love these black babies calves . The one gal is on the naughty list and headed to the sale barn soon .

We have been getting bulls out of West Texas and have been have pretty good luck. They probably think they have made it to the promise land when the step out down here. The Herfords do better than the black bulls but with out that ear they still like to crawl off in the tanks.

20210919_192626.jpg

Latest posts