Was this self defense?

Help Support CattleToday:

Very heated situation.
Custody issues etc..

What kind of idiot tries to take a loaded weapon from another man and says he's gonna kill him with it?

He was no Rambo!

I believe the man had other options aside from shooting. But that ain't how it works. Try and take a mans gun and you become a threat

Unfamiliar with Texas law (any law really). I didn't see the purpose for bringing out a gun. To protect the property? Guy didn't seem intent on tearing up anything or stealing. Personal protection? No threat was made, or really implied. Should you leave someones property when they tell/ask you to? People with good sense do.

I guess the woman in the truck was in shock, or didn't realize he was dead. Her reaction was just not what I'd expect.

The wife was supposed to have the kid there to be picked up. The father is understandably upset. The wife holds a big part of the responsibility here. No one handled this situation well.

This is a skewed clip of the video. You need to see the whole video to make a judgment. This small clip is a little misleading about the whole "stand your ground" argument. It did not escalate until the new bf/husband went in and got the gun.

NO, it was not self defense.
The father was there for a legal purpose, to pick up his son at the prearranged time of 3:15 as agreed to in family court. The step father had no reason to come out of the house except to bring the child. Instead he brought out the gun making him the aggressor. He is a menace to society and should be charged with murder. Of course he has the right to a jury trial as there may be other facts unknown to us as video viewers. The ex-wife's behavior appears to be passive aggressive and her knowledge of the court order makes her far from being an innocent bystander.

Last edited:
NO, it was not self defense.
The father was there for a legal purpose, to pick up his son at the prearranged time of 3:15 as agreed to in family court. The step father had no reason to come out of the house except to bring the child. Instead he brought out the gun making him the aggressor. He is a menace to society and should be charged with murder. Of course he has the right to a jury trial as there may be other facts unknown to us as video viewers. The ex-wife's behavior appears to be passive aggressive and her knowledge of the court order makes her far from being an innocent bystander.
It was his house. He didn't need a reason to come outside. He told him to leave. That's what he should have done and done his kid exchange somewhere else.

They looked like a couple of roosters going at it at first. The man holding the gun obviously didn't handle his firearm appropriately and according to the news clip attempted to shoot the unarmed man's feet first. As mentioned above, there is a lot more leading up to this story and a lot more behind this story. Unless we are on the jury or in the courtroom during the trial, we will not know all of the facts.

If Mr. Read would've threw his hands up and walked away, I'd say there's a good chance he could've gotten more custody of his children, if he would've been more cool headed. However, this appears to be where two fools met. The upshot is that a man is dead and a child's life shattered. Way to go, mom, dad, stepdad. Too many fools putting their motives in front of the child's.

It was his house. He didn't need a reason to come outside. He told him to leave. That's what he should have done and done his kid exchange somewhere else.
Family Court orders the details as to when, where and how the exchange happens after the parents agree. The mother was infringing the father's rights by shortening his hours with his son by not allowing the child to leave at the agreed upon time.
My guess is, not the first time.

Last edited:
I've had time to sleep on this, there was no need to introduce the gun in this situation. Yes, the deceased threatened and tried to take the gun. I realize the ramifications of his actions, but this was avoidable.

Latest posts