Was this self defense?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe the dead guy was the problem.
Looks like he'd ran through a few wife's.
And done a little time in the pen......
In reality, the woman is the real problem in this whole scenario. She is the common factor that brought all of this on. I guarantee if she had just done what she was supposed to and let dad take the kid step dad would've never got involved. The whole thing is terrible, no one involved came out better because of it. I feel for the kid, they'll probably go their whole life blaming themselves for it.

You didn't read my entire post, I said the step dad and mom BOTH could've went in the house. Nothing was stopping either one from going in the house, now the moment dad tried to stop either one from entering the house that again would be self defense. And are you telling me that if someone was trying to prevent you from seeing your own kid that you wouldn't act like an idiot over it? I would, I think that would bring out the worse in anyone. I agree that the dad should've left when told to regardless but I still don't think it justified bringing out a gun at that point. It's not like he was just some random stranger that had no right to be there and wouldn't leave, he was there to get his kid that was being withheld from him.
Your right I didn't read your entire post.
My apologies. I was at the dentist.

No I would hope with my kids involved I would have acted with some thought and played to win.
I absolutely wouldn't have hid in my house and waited on the police. No way.

Fence, acting within the law and doing what you think is right are two different things. From the video I say the shooter escalated things and shot the man pretty quick, without knowing the history I'd say he was in the wrong. Just going by what we saw in the video and putting the law aside, do you think the man with the gun acted reasonably to this situation?

We all read the news and know that people can get a "partner" to do some pretty crazy things when it comes to ex's and kids. Hasn't been to long ago the guy killed his whole family and had his side piece help him clean up the mess. This could end up being a grand plan or just a bad day…..we may never really know.

I just found and watched both videos. Either something was planned or the shooter was sick of everyones BS and decided to stop it. I'd say he shot pretty quick when slung of the porch. He was also going through a divorce that was finalized today I believe, maybe he was stressed out. Him and the ex didn't act very surprised at what went down.

I just found and watched both videos. Either something was planned or the shooter was sick of everyones BS and decided to stop it. I'd say he shot pretty quick when slung of the porch. He was also going through a divorce that was finalized today I believe, maybe he was stressed out. Him and the ex didn't act very surprised at what went down.
I disagree. And I don't think he'll be charged. Would you have let the guy take your gun? Would you have hide in the house after telling him to leave your property. ??

Because the police would have given the child to his father and arrested one or both the mother and step-father for violating the court order, letting them spend the night/weekend in jail.
You don't know what you're talking about. That's not what would have happened. It's been explained by me and a couple of others above.

But me personally...I wouldn't hide in the house like pussy. Unlike a few others here...

Because the police would have given the child to his father and arrested one or both the mother and step-father for violating the court order, letting them spend the night/weekend in jail.
No. Re-read my post that you "liked".

I'm not sure how it works in Texas, but have our custody agreement and court papers with me didn't do anything.
The sheriff (a friend of the family) told me it'd be best for me to go home or he would have to arrest me for trespassing (because my X had already told me to leave).

I left and took it to court. An emergency hearing was held, TWO WEEKS LATER!
Took me two weeks to get my son back.

I did prevail, and my X got a fine and a warning that if it happened again she would serve jail time.
It happened again when my son was 12.
Same song and dance.

No. Re-read my post that you "liked".

I'm not sure how it works in Texas, but have our custody agreement and court papers with me didn't do anything.
The sheriff (a friend of the family) told me it'd be best for me to go home or he would have to arrest me for trespassing (because my X had already told me to leave).

I left and took it to court. An emergency hearing was held, TWO WEEKS LATER!
Took me two weeks to get my son back.

I did prevail, and my X got a fine and a warning that if it happened again she would serve jail time.
It happened again when my son was 12.
Same song and dance.
Yep it's a civil matter, not criminal. Most cops won't touch it.

I disagree. And I don't think he'll be charged. Would you have let the guy take your gun? Would you have hide in the house after telling him to leave your property. ??
That's not what I ask but I'll take that as a yes, you think he acted reasonably.

To be honest it would depend on my mood that day. Some days I think I'd shoot someone for mouthing off like that and others I'd just get a chair and watch the show. I been the same person for around 50 yrs now and know myself pretty well……that's one reason I don't carry a gun. I'm gonna say the shooter knew better than to fight the ole boy like a man so he got a gun. He even used some kind of crazy looking rifle. Who buys guns like that…..

I just heard on the news that Carruth's wife ( the mother I presume) is a district judge. It was stated that they thought that was the only reason he hasn't been arrested, they cited other similar incidents in the area where the shooter was arrested for the same scenario although later found not guilty.

What difference does that make? Didn't you already agree that trespassing isn't a reason to shoot someone?

If you go in your house, get a gun, come back out and shoot them, it's murder. Stay in the house and call law enforcement. If he tries to break in, fire away.
And that is what is wrong in this country today. All part of the pussification of the American male. There was a scene on Yellowstone Sunday. The tribal chief said it best " Society is teaching the sheep( people) to no longer fight the wolves that come to kill them. To instead, cry out for the shephard ( police) to come save them from the wolves." This Texas man was not arrested nor will be be. The dead guy was white, so no fake news media news will cover it. This same week in south Georgia, THREE men were tried for murder, when a boy was shot after charging a man with a gun, forcing the man to shoot him. The difference is, the thug was black and the guy that had to defend himself was white. Damndest railroad job I have ever scene. They charged the man who defended himself with FIVE counts of murder! 1 malice murder (ever hear of a benevolent murder?) and 4 counts of felony murder ( is there a misdemeanor murder?!) . How the hell do you murder someone FIVE TIMES?!!! This was appealed of course, and will be overturned in appellate court.

Police can NOT protect you!! Ever!! Well, maybe if you are in the middle of a police station and someone attacks you, but that is bullshit, this liberal narrative to " call the police to protect you".

Absolutely NOT. The police would have no jurisdiction to do any such thing. Not complying with a custody agreement is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. The police would have told the man to leave the premises , go home, call his lawyer., and file contempt charges on his ex-wife.

I haven't been able to watch the full video, because I don't have or want a YouTube account.

My comments have been based on the short version video available and my personal experience.

Latest posts