WARTS

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411":3onjhldq said:
Ollie

Out of curiosity - what is the market you use for sheep? Do you sell the wool or the lambs? Do you sell at auction or private treaty?
Of course we sell lambs private treaty and wool.But the big thing right now in south west Oklahoma is a product called a Sheephat.It is something made from the skin off a sheeps head , skinned out. Like a coon skin cap except you pull it over your face. Some of the guys with open station tractors swear it keeps them cooler. The good thing about them are it's an extra 75.00 . Takes a little time to make them but well worth it.

Texan":1uqsvl4p said:
Ollie, maybe you could also tell us about the use of EPD's in the sheep business! ;-)
The only epd that we use in the 4 corners sheepherders ass. is a sellability epd. We use algirythims and correlations to predict which sheep will sell the quickest . Of course the sheep with the highest ss epd (soonest seller) will sell first so it creates alot of excitement at the seedstock sales

ollie":3joh4tni said:
Texan":3joh4tni said:
Ollie, maybe you could also tell us about the use of EPD's in the sheep business! ;-)
The only epd that we use in the 4 corners sheepherders ass. is a sellability epd. We use algirythims and correlations to predict which sheep will sell the quickest . Of course the sheep with the highest ss epd (soonest seller) will sell first so it creates alot of excitement at the seedstock sales
I guess your Sheepherders Ass. computer's got a pretty greasy keyboard from entering all that stuff, huh?

Ollie
What kind of sheep do you raise in the Oklahoma Panhandle. How many more sheep than cattle can you raise per acre.
Do purebred or crossbreds do best in that area

The sheephat is worn kind of like the dancing with wolves wolf hat. We're trying to get a big deal done with the Omish in Kansas . If that comes through I won't even speak to you guys I'll be so rich.

Arnold Ziffle":37a575vm said:
Lots of legs getting pulled around here???
Arnold
I didn't you were a sheep rancher too. What do you do with the legs after you pull them. Maybe could make leggins and some type of sleeve for the arms.
Just interested; in maybe trying to get rich on them sheep like ollie is a fixin to do.

Campground Cattle":3j21qkzr said:
I think the only thing be sold here is BS oh I guess I meant sheep

That is another idea. I under stand it makes good garden fertilizer. It comes already pelleted by the manufacturer too, so a wholesaler wouldn't have to spend money on additional labor and mechanical pelleter.

Lloyd --- Dang it, I imagine Ollie has the monopoly on the sheep business, but I have another idea for a real money making venture. Maybe you and a few others want to join me and get in on the ground floor. It will be a new composite breed --- approximately 25% each of Brahman, Longhorn, miniature Jersey and finally Corriente (gotta have that black hide). Then when we have a sufficient number of these fine meatwagon calves, we'll drive them up to "real cattle country" in the Nebraska Sandhills and sell them for premium prices to Blackpower, who will in turn sell them to assorted idiots and/or other folks of whom he is contemptuous. In addition, we'll sell tickets to city folks and others like GP78, to ride along on the cattle drive -- give them a real "City Slickers" type vacation experience. We'll have to pay a royalty to Al Gore, since no doubt it was one of his ancestors (or possibly him in an earlier life) that "invented" the Chisolm Trail. Might even want to talk to Clinton about him sending some of his less skanky castoff's to act as "camp followers". Sound like a winner?

Arnold
That sounds like a heck of a good idea. I'm sure that it would work. With gp's experience he should be trail boss. Lets give this some more thought and I'm sure we can find several investors for this new venture.

Arnold Ziffle":28fdlh7u said:
It will be a new composite breed --- approximately 25% each of Brahman, Longhorn, miniature Jersey and finally Corriente (gotta have that black hide).
Hmmmm. The Sandhills Balancer....... Great idea, AZ!

la4angus":28fdlh7u said:
With gp's experience he should be trail boss.
LA, I think you should let GP stick with the sheep business. Easier for him to catch one......

I'm still waiting for someone to figure out how to cross a lizard with a cow. That way you could cut off a steak and it would grow back

dun

That sounds like another good idea, Dun. But wouldn't we need a Federal law to keep the greedy, evil packers from owning any? ;-)

ollie":3ec7en4g said:
[ Your reply obviously show me that you have never been in a show barn. ] I had a show sheep that stood third out of 4 at the county fair so I have been in a show barn I guess.

I always tell people we took 3rd place! I don't mention if there were 3 entries or 300 entries.

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON WARTS IALREADY KNEW ABOUT FEEDING THEN BACK BUT CRUSHING THEN IS SOMETHING IWILL TRY ALSO ENJOYED THE COLORFUL CONVERSATION

ollie":3gulrzoi said:
Texan":3gulrzoi said:

i had originally skipped this thread when catching up but noticed all the hits so i thought i better take a peak. Texan, it looks like you beat me to the epd question for ollie.

ollie, do you think you could explain those algorithms and correlations to me so we might be able to add an ss epd to the cattle epd's?

TXAG, We are trying to do what the cattle industry has already done and come up with a Biggest Sheep epd.I 'll get the formula for you

ollie":2mc4d661 said:
TXAG, We are trying to do what the cattle industry has already done and come up with a Biggest Sheep epd.I 'll get the formula for you
Ollie, how big do you have those sheep now. I knew someone who had some real big ones, a few years ago but they sheared them and they shrank a good bit. I guess that's what happens when they get sheared. Maybe you could help us to understand what happens.
It is sure good to have a world renowned sheep herder on this CattleToday board.

Latest posts