Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a heifer who has developed warts on her head. She has caused them to bleed from rubbing them on anything she can. Is this something that will go away or should we seek some sort of treatment for her. Also I read another thread with regard to banding warts, is that something that would be applicable here? Thanks!

[email protected]

The warts are caused by a virus. The warts will go away when the heifer's immune system recognizes the virus and manufactures antibodies to kill the virus.

A way of speeding up the process is to do something to cause irritation at the site of the warts, so the immune system may notice the virus and start the antibody process.

Usually, folks recommend anything that causes irritation, from pulling the warts off with pliers, to tying them off with a hair or thread, cutting them off, or applying a mild acid. None of these methods kills the virus, so they are not wart cures. They are simply methods of irritation.

Your heifer is probably doing, right now, everything you could do to get rid of the warts. By rubbing them until they bleed, her immune system should wake up and get rid of the virus. This is not an overnight process, though. It takes some time.

> We have a heifer who has developed
> warts on her head. She has caused
> them to bleed from rubbing them on
> anything she can. Is this
> something that will go away or
> should we seek some sort of
> treatment for her. Also I read
> another thread with regard to
> banding warts, is that something
> that would be applicable here?
> Thanks!

I have had a few encounters with warts myself.If you are feeding your cattle in bunkers or troughs the blood from warts will cause warts to infect most or all of your cattle.Most of the time they are not serious and go away on their own.I had a steer that had alot of warts on his neck and head that I couldn't get rid of and I went to wal-mart and bought equate wart remover it was pretty cheap.Within a couple of weeks all the warts were gone.I understand there are many different strands of wart viruses what works for one strand might not work for others.I have been told also to pull the warts off and put them in a balling gun and put them down the animals throat.I have never had luck with this.Most of the time they go away after pulling them off but not always.Good luck!

[email protected]

Latest posts