Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, after warts develop.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes, yearly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

heidituynman

Reaction score
My daughter got a show steer this year. He was clean until after being clipped the first time. Then a bunch of warts popped up. I was not aware that they were so common in cattle. We have been just removing the warts because the vet said the shots are normally ineffective after they have the virus. But I have had some people tell me they had luck with a vaccine.

Not uncommon for my yearlings to get warts and I just ignore them. Sunshine & time, they'll go away. BUT a couple years ago I did have two retained heifers that still had warts at 24 months. Not big, barely noticeable, but I thought it was weird. Got the wart vaccine from my vet (10cc total, 5cc on each side SQ). They both still have them, although one seems to have significantly less.

I think the wart vaccines are similar to the pinkeye vaccines and foot rot vaccines in that they may or may not be effective in any given year or situation. I think there are multiple stains of warts that may have no response to the vaccine. Agree with Murray that cutting the wart off or crushing it is said to start an immune response to eliminate the warts. Except for a little money and effort, nothing lost in trying the vaccine. Won't hurt to try.

If you are going to a show that requires "health papers", a vet inspection is required. Animals with visible warts are not supposed to pass the inspection. Health papers might not be required for in-state shows, but will be required for out of state. Best to get them cleaned up. I would give the vaccine and cut off the ones that are there.

About the only time I see them is when I bring in new stock. I just cut a few them off to trigger an immune response. The rest will fall off shortly. I've heard of many people who put them into a pill pusher and pop them back into the animal they cut if off of. I'm more inclined to think that is an old wives tale, but you never know. I don't do it.

Latest posts