warts on show steer

Help Support CattleToday:

tracy

Reaction score
could anybody suggest somthing to get rid of warts, !! my steer which is to go to his first show in five weeks has warts all behind his ears and behind the top of his head. help please :help:

Tracy,
Click on the SEARCH tab at the top of the screen and put in 'warts'.
This topic has been discussed before and you can probably find the information you need this way.
If you don't find what you need, then come back on and ask again.

Good luck with your animal.

tracy":1qq0s4ji said:
could anybody suggest somthing to get rid of warts, !! my steer which is to go to his first show in five weeks has warts all behind his ears and behind the top of his head. help please :help:

Cut them off and put them in his feed.

You can also get a vaccination called "Wart Shield" from the vet. You'll have to give one shot now and one in two weeks, but it'll work.

Don't know about that one Ollie, but I did have two heifers with a bad case of warts. I cut enough to fill three of the large bolus guns off the face of one and fed them to her. It was about 6 months before she completely cleared up. about the same with the one I left alone.

Rod

Persoanly I tink the feeding it back to them is an old wifes tail.. Crushing them or jerkin some of them off seems to be as effective. Years ago we could get a vaccine made from the warts that we removed. Some that never had warts got them, others mever got any. I lay it to a dofferent virus strain being introduced.
We don't showe so it's inconsiquential to us. But we had a heifer I alwasy referred to as"warthog", she had warts all over her face and neck. they went awayon their own.
At the foeed lot they had a heifer that was so covered with warts that she must have had 50 lbs of them haning off her face and neck/, Hw pulled a bunch of them and within a a couple of months you'ld never know she had had a wart.

dun

Dun, I tend to agree. > I have a neighbor that swears diesel oil will kill the virus on all tools exposed to warts and he puts diesel on the front of the feeders wear the cattle rub too. Said he had a problem before and now he doesn't. I just wonder if there is anything to it and if so what would happen if you sprayed diesel on the wart.

Rod

when i got my first hereford i kept her in the barn while i finished fixing some fence and she got them bad but back where i am from we call it barn rot they get it on there heads and face neck well when i let her out ok the barn they cleared up in about a month but warts and barn rot my be 2 differnt things

MR3":3aefg39a said:
I just wonder if there is anything to it and if so what would happen if you sprayed diesel on the wart.

Rod

I think that by the time you noticed the diesel having an affect that they'ld be going away on their own anyway.

dun

I have also heard of a lot of people using something called fluid flim.

I usually cut or pull them off and I treat the spot with a lillte bit of betadine and they usually clear up, I don't feed them I take them out of the pen and get rid of them.

Depending on how close your show is I would let them go away on their own. I have puuled some off and left scares(not vaery noticable) but they were there anyway. I bought a bull that had some on his face. My father in law threw a fit. A month later they were gone and never have had anymore.

Scotty

Latest posts