Warts on show heifer--HELP?

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
I just noticed several warts on one of my show heifers. They are on her head and down her neck. I would really like to avoid giving her a shot, but if it is the only way...

Unless the vaccine you give her just happens through dumb luck to have the exact same virus that caused her warts it won't do a thing. You can crush them on her, pull them off, or just give them a "tincture of time". A heifer we bought last April didn't have a single wart when we got her. 3 Weeks later she had so many I referred to her as the wart hog. By the time we bred her in early June she didn't have a single wart left. Just Ma Nature doing her job.

dun

certherfbeef":1mnmxh7z said:
I just noticed several warts on one of my show heifers. They are on her head and down her neck. I would really like to avoid giving her a shot, but if it is the only way...

Thanks Dun, wonderin', have you ever herd of cutting the warts off and mixing w/ her feed?

I've heard of it and I know people that swear by it. But I think it's more the actual removal of the wart and the cows immune system kicking in that has to do with them going away more then it is them eating them. Back in the 60's we used to take warts off and send them to a university lab that made avaccine from the warts. We would then vaccinate everything with the vaccine. Problem is, every once in a while it seemed like the vaccine would cause warts. The tehory was that they were from a different strain of virus then the vaccine was made of. We quit that wonderfull practice and just let them get over them by themselves.
This was back in the goat dairy days and it was on goats, but a wart and the cause is pretty much the same kind of deal. If there was a show coming up we would just shift one out of the show string if she had warts. But we weren't really serious show folks, it was more to advertise the dairy and what we had for sale.

dun

certherfbeef":1t51pr3x said:
Thanks Dun, wonderin', have you ever herd of cutting the warts off and mixing w/ her feed?

Use a pair of pliars and pull them off of her . This triggers an immune response I guess any way it works.

Ollie":3qbi6x79 said:
Use a pair of pliars and pull them off of her . This triggers an immune response I guess any way it works.
I understand that you should first crush them with the pliars. The warts do not have any feeling. Then pull them off with the pliars. I don't know what crushing them does, but one of the # 1 vets that I know recommends this. Dun??? Your Opinion???

Crush them , pull them off with pliers, it all has the same affect. You don't have to pull all of them, just do a bunch of them, if she has 3 do all of them, if she has 100 do a dozen or so. They ones that are left will fall off on their own.

dun

la4angus":15kybl7i said:
Ollie":15kybl7i said:
I understand that you should first crush them with the pliars. The warts do not have any feeling. Then pull them off with the pliars. I don't know what crushing them does, but one of the # 1 vets that I know recommends this. Dun??? Your Opinion???

certherfbeef":1ymbxsrn said:
cut them out, in the past people use to take blood out of the animal and injected intramuscular way

Typically warts are caused by a virus (papilloma type) and occur on all animals including humans. A normal animal will generate an immunity from the exposure and at some stage they will all drop off - month or two. Can have severe growths if immunity is compromised by stresses like poor nutition, overcrowding etc.
Some of the discussed ways will speed up the production of antibodies but the best way is to freeze a small clump with liquid nitrogen. Freeze twice for about 15 seconds and get the iceball down to skin level. Protect the normal skin with a bit of thick vaseline but don't get it on the warts you freeze. This produces an autogenous vaccine and speeds up immunity production. Some vets here have used a bit of Levamisole or BCG vaccine to further crank up the immune system but probably not necessary. You only need to target a single small clump because that is all that is needed to stimulate immunity
Dry ice can work too but you need to freeze longer. Water ice is waste of time because it is not cold enough to destroy the tissue and release the virus particles to react with the animals immune system.

I have been enjoying reading of the cattle problems in the USA. Different, but not that much, to what we encounter here in Northern Australia.

DJE
Cairns

I should describe another way how I handle the liquid nitrogen rather than pouring it on from an applicator:
It is easy to pour into a PVC 6 pack esky from the container and it will boil for a bit then stabilise. I have carted it about in my car like this and it stays about for quite a while, but be careful if it spills.
I have a copper soldering iron with the sharp point cut off so it is flat, and I put this into the Liquid N in the esky and let the boiling settle as it gets down to the low temperature. Then I take it out and press the copper onto a small wart group so it freezes to the skin. There will be a permanent white mark just like a freeze brand where you do this so pick a spot where you want a white patch. THis is the way freeze branding is done.

DJE

We crush, then 3 days later, cut them off with a set of wire snips. We also put a little iodine on it after just to cover up any blemishes.

Latest posts