Warts on my new young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
My new bull I bought this past Feb. has warts now, dang it. He's 16 months and growing really nice and looking good except for those dang warts. I was going to breed some heifers to him and then resell him as a herd bull. I'm afraid he may still have some warts at the time I would like to sell him because they seem to just hang around forever according to a few others we've had in the past. I'm not gonna put him up for sale while they exist. Has a large one across the muscle on the top of neck and several around the shoulders. Guess I'll have him longer than I wanted too. One vet likes to cut them off and another the one we've been using likes for it to run the course. Haven't had any others with any for a while and his red buddy in the lot with him whom is 13 months looks awesome with not a single one. I'm gonna hit the search button now and see what others experiences have been probably should have did that instead of typing this.

Some years have had them pretty bad on some yearling calves, haven't for a few years thankfully. I was told to pull a few off or cut a few, and they and the rest would dry on up and come off, which they did. There are also wart vaccines, but I have been told that since there are many different strains it may not be too effective, in preventing them.

I dealt with warts many many times and I just let them go away on there own then sell them. If you sell with warts be prepared to give him away. Yea wart vaccine is snake oil . Just let time heal them then sell.

I usually just let 'em run their course, but if I felt the need to speed up the process... I'd be mashing them with pliers until they start to bleed.

wbvs58":3ou6skxv said:
Unless there on his willie you got nothing to worry about. As Lucky said mash them don't cut them.

Ken

I just snorted out my water! We did have a bull with warts on his willie. Vet tried to cut them off twice before we hauled him to the Sale Barn.

I would rather have that than pinkeye, one of my line one Hereford bulls eye is gone. Warts look bad but they go away on their own. I have not seen them last long once the sun hits them, they seem to stay longer in the winter. I have a few with scaley patches like ring worm it is about the same when it warms up and sun hits them.

Latest posts