Warts on muzzle?

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
I just noticed my colt having small bumps or warts coming up around his nostril. i am not really worried for hii health I just want to get rid of them as they are quite ugly. Does anyone know what this is and know a cure for this.

rough up the warts with a toothbrush ( I used an old one but to each his own) to activate the immune system then rub ivermectin on them. Our mare had an outbreak on her muzzle and vet told us to do this. Cleared up pretty quick.

Chris

Years ago (20 or so) we had great success by rubbing castor oil on the warts twice a day until they went away.

In 1962 I had the same situation. Heard about all that home remedy stuff from the race track boys. Phoned the Vet, he gave the colt a shot, the warts fell off. End of problem.

My daughter had a new colt she bought and was told they would go away on ther own, the colt was a weenling, she couldn't take it to the fair because it was a virus. While she wasn't happy with the vet. I told her we would wait until the next year. At that time the colt was a yearling and one day we walked out to the pasture, and they were gone!! Just like the vet said they would be.
He told us no one knows what, or why, they affect colts just that they do, and ther is nothing they can do just wait until they turn 1 and they will go away. Cindy

Alot of young horses get warts. Mine did too. Your colts warts should go away in three to four months on their own and he should develope a natural immunity to them. The warts are contagious though, so you might not want to use the brushes you use on him on other horses.

Latest posts