WARTS ON CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

mmixon4011

Reaction score
WILL A WART VACCINE MAKE WARTS SHED OFF
THIS IS AN ANGUS YEARLING IN GOOD HEALTH WITH
LARGE CLUSTER ON EAR

Time will make them go away.
Wart vaccines in thory will prevent them. Some years seem to be "wart years" and others aren;t. Years ago we had a vaccine made up from the warts that we had on our animals. Supposed to keep the next bunch from getting them. Didn;t do anything. It was then claimed that the new warts were from a diffiertent strain of virus. We haven;t vaccinated for them in 25 years now and rarely have a wart. I think last year one steer got a couple, but none of the other calves did.

dun

Unless the warts are on my show cattle, I don't mess with them.

Some years are worse than others for warts. Last year I didn't see a one. This year there are several cows and heifers with them.

More of a problem for you than the cattle I think. Mostly an eyesore.

Never tried a vaccine against warts. As Cert and Dun siad, some yeras they're more common than others. We had quite a few with warts 3 years ago, haven't seena ny since. They'll go away eventually.

Katherine

So here's a question.....where are warts normally found on cattle? I had one heifer 2 years ago who had warts on her nose, and I just left them alone and by and by they went away. None of the other cattle ever got any. So I was picturing a wart outbreak occurring mostly on cows noses like in horses. Now I have a heifer (totally different herd and pasture, never been in contact with the other one) who has 2 wart-like growths on the point of her right shoulder. One popped up a few months ago and it sloughed/fell/broke off, now there are 2 more growths in its place. One of the other first calvers in the herd has the same type growth on her back just above her hip. I thought maybe grubs may be in play on the first calver, but they've all been wormed with Ivermec twice this year, and are on a strict worming schedule - May and September as is recommended for my area. None of these growths seem to be bothering them any, and as they're not show animals, no big deal if they are indeed warts and will eventually go away. I'm just thinking that they may be something more serious that I ought to have looked at? Do warts often pop up on places other than their noses?

Had a heifer in daughters pen of three commercial heifers (for fair) last year had warts, some on her neck and some on her head. I've never treated for warts before, seen a few here and there with em, didnt ever really worry me much, but since these were on her show heifers I thought we should get rid of them if possible. Instead of cuttin em off and possibly leavin a bad spot on em, I went to the Pharmacy and bought one of them new wart removal kits, that freeze em off. We ran her thru the chute and used it on all of the warts, within a few days they all fell off and she looked nice again.

most commonly you see warts from the shoulders forward. anywhere on the face is pretty common and the neck area. Ive also seen some on one cows teats. now that was pretty nasty, especially when the calf would suck it. but anyway. .. they can get them anywhere.

i just cut em off.. or rub warts-off on them... it works...

like everybody else has said, time will kill em too... they're like baby warts... i get them on my heifers all the time.... no big deal...

Latest posts