Warts on calf's head

Help Support CattleToday:

grant5

Reaction score
I have a calf that is approximately 7 months old. He has developed warts on his head. I was told by someone who has cows that it is a fungus since it was gray and that it will evenutally kill him. Does anyone have and suggestions or can you tell me if this information is accurate? I have never had this problem with other cows.

You can pull some off and make them bleed, or leave them alone and they'll go away on their own. Warts are caused by a virus.

Warts are not a big deal. They look bad, but they sure won't kill him. You can get a vaccine made, or just pull them off, or leave them alone, and they will go away on their own.

If warts killed cattle, I wouldn't have much of a herd left :lol: .

As has been suggested, I've been told you can pull them off with a pair of sqaure nosed pliers. Never tried it. I just leave them alone and they go away. Seems like it's right in that weaning to yearling age when they get hit the hardest too.

Are you sure its warts? Ringworm can look like warts. Sunshine and warm, dry weather usually help the problem. Spraying with an iodine solution usually helps also.

We have a calf with those nasty things...one on each side of her head, kind of on the top front part of the forehead. :roll:
Oh wait...her mama has them too...guess they came from the Limousin side of the fence.
DMc

Latest posts