Warts on Bulls foot

Help Support CattleToday:

Pat Paisley

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows about warts on feet. Our bull has one & is lame. Can they be hereditary & passed along to his offspring? Treatment?

Is it a wart or a corn between the toes. Corns can really be an issue with older bulls. Some vets think they can help but I'm not sure. I try and stay away from bulls with corns. We recently bought a bull sight unseen and really like him except the hair between his toes doesn't go right to the hoof. I hope this doesn't make him susceptible to corns. :roll: :roll:

Pat Paisley":2n0aay9s said:
Wondering if anyone knows about warts on feet. Our bull has one & is lame. Can they be hereditary & passed along to his offspring? Treatment?

Pat down here in Texas "hairy warts" are a big problem especially in dairy cattle...not so much in beef cattle. Normally found on the back feet it will be a big ugly wart with long coarse hair growing out of it. I've seen cows literally turn to skeletons in a very few days due to these things. Hoof trimmers often just cut them out, treat the area and apply vet wrap. Don't know if this sounds like what you have or not. The problem is environmental and contagious if this is what you have.

Tex
Those hairy warts sound really nasty. North of the 49th we don't have anything like that. Is it more a dairy thing because of the concentrated environment in the dairies. Do you have much foot rot down in that country. In Alberta it is far more common in the north then in southern Alberta.

Seems everyone has a case of footrot occasionally, some areas worse than others. Can't remember the last case we had.