warts/lesions/????

Help Support CattleToday:

romany4

Reaction score
hi, i have two dexter cattle at work, just over a year old. they have recently developed small scabby sores on their noses. i initially thought ticks, but they have no obvious signs of life, looking a bit like warts!!! i have had to de louse them recently and they are now clear so dont think its anything related to this, they are on short pasture being supplemented with stock pellets and hay...any ideas? im fairly new to cattle so please excuse if im being totally dumb!!!! :?

Red nose, proper name is IBR . Have they been vaccinated and are they from vaccinated dams ?

They could have had a fever recently which results in scabbing of the nose sometimes ,underneath the scab is raw, reddish skin .

we have only just bought them, the breeder is a well known respected breeder in our area so i would imagine all vacs due would have been done. can i check on their records at all? do u know what age they should be done? and how regularly? thanks

I have a heifer who had a growth on her side - it looked like a nipple on a bottle, except that it was grey. I used a product that contained an acid with silver. It's been taken off the market but you can still find some. It comes in a pencil form and you wet the end of the pencil in water and "color" all over the wart. It turns your fingers black if you touch it.

romany4":3kxuc144 said:
we have only just bought them, the breeder is a well known respected breeder in our area so i would imagine all vacs due would have been done. can i check on their records at all? do u know what age they should be done? and how regularly? thanks

Why not given them a call, ask what vaccs the herd gets and when/what your group should have etc.

Latest posts