wart-like tumor problem on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have an approximately one year old heifer calf who was a twin. Her mother rejected her from the beginning but not to the point where she didn't get any colostrum. She has kinda been puny and at a disadvantage from the start. She is now still small for her age and has developed a wart-like tumor growth on her neck. It has grown pretty big at a fast rate to begin with, which has now tapered off and it seems to be bothering her somewhat. Not to the point where she doesn't eat or drink. She will scratch it with her back foot and on trees which causes it to bleed, which tells me that it somewhat vascular? Does anyone know what i should treat her with or has anyone had this problem before? Calling the vet, which all beef cattle farmers know, will result in a bill that is worth far more than the cow is. I'm also afraid that the stockyards will not take a cow in this condition. If you need a picture to verify, I can get one on here. Thanks for any help you can provide.
-deeprivercattle

Chances are it is a wart. One of our daughter's show steers had some as large as a big walnut. She may get more before it goes away. We used pliers to pinch them. It helped the steer make antibodies to get rid of them.

I will post some pics because I don't think it's warts, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the replies!

Warts will bleed. I don't have any pictures of the steer, but found this picture on the web.

WartsBovine.jpg

We've had young cattle have them on their back, neck, nose, top of the head and ears. They are ugly and sort of freak you out because they do grow quickly. If the heifer is gentle, run your hands over her to see if she has any more popping up.

Good luck.

This growth actually hangs off of her neck almost 8 inches or more and is just a huge cluster of wart-looking tumors. As soon as I get home today, i will take a picture and post it.
Thanks!

Here are some pic's...it hangs off of her neck almost 8 inches or so. On the opposite side of her neck, it looks a lot like warts. I've got pictures but i'm computer illiterate right now. I've tried to copy and paste and I've tried to upload with that tool at the bottom. Any help on uploading pic's?

The pictures need to be uploaded to a photo host like Photobucket. I'll send you a pm with my email. If you want, you can send them to me & I'll post them for you.

Here are your pictures.

758710200_PTgVV-M.jpg

758710244_hh2S6-M.jpg

758710243_hKV46-M.jpg

That is huge! It looks like warts gone wild. If she were mine, I'd haul her to the vet.

Second biggest mess of warts I've ever seen. They/it may eventually go way by themselves but I would haul her to vet and let him/her wxpedite the situation. A fiend of mine got a 350 calf at the sale barn for a dollar that had warts worse then that. Every couple of days he wood pull/cut/scrape some off. When he was about half done he noticed that there were getting fewer and left them alone, took another couple of weeks and they were all gone.

Thanks again for all the help....Should the mass of warts smell as well?? Her's smell so bad it's hard to get within 5 foot.

deeprivercattle":3odzhlhv said:
Thanks again for all the help....Should the mass of warts smell as well?? Her's smell so bad it's hard to get within 5 foot.
It may be just bacteria that is in the folds and wrinkles that smells.

tncattle467":5rdm0lfg said:
dun":5rdm0lfg said:
Second biggest mess of warts I've ever seen. They/it may eventually go way by themselves but I would haul her to vet and let him/her wxpedite the situation. A fiend of mine got a 350 calf at the sale barn for a dollar that had warts worse then that. Every couple of days he wood pull/cut/scrape some off. When he was about half done he noticed that there were getting fewer and left them alone, took another couple of weeks and they were all gone.

I am sorry done but i have to call bs on the dollar calf deal.
That's what the man told me so I have no reason to doubt him. Everyone who saw it when he brought it home told him to just shoot it. Could barely lift it's head the mass was so big. Looked like what we used to call shovel calves. When you bought them you needed to buy a shovel too so you carry bury them when they died.

deeprivercattle":122osogi said:
I have an approximately one year old heifer calf who was a twin. Her mother rejected her from the beginning but not to the point where she didn't get any colostrum. She has kinda been puny and at a disadvantage from the start. She is now still small for her age and has developed a wart-like tumor growth on her neck. It has grown pretty big at a fast rate
Looks as if she has more problems than just the wart-like tumor she may be one of them hopeless cases and you might be money ahead to just go ahead and put her away if a vet bill is more than she is worth than a .22 bullet is the best way out everyone hates to BUT thats part of farming.

Latest posts