Wart/Grub ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I got a long yearling heifer who quite suddenly developed these warty looking things on her neck and under her eye. On her neck it's kinda "S" shaped 6" long an 3/4" wide. Under her eye bout quarter sized. I treated her with "Warbex" a week ago it does not seem to be working. Is this a Wart or Grub? How should I treat it?

Wart. There are a zillion treatments. Cutting one off and feeding it to her, just cutting a couple off or just crushing a couple to get the immune system kicking in. The feeding them is in the same category as burying one in an old dish clothe under your neighbors cousins mother in laws porch. They'll either go away on their own or the crushing of a couple to kick in the immune system works as well as anything.

We have a little heifer we got at a sale barn recently and I noticed she has two dime sized warts on her face. I talked to our vet and he said that normally sunshine and time will make them disappear but if they don't - they have a vaccine we can pick up and give her. I would give it some time and if they don't start going away - maybe talk to your local vet about giving her a vaccine. Apparently the vaccine is made up of the compound of other cow's warts so the "feeding it to them" might work just as well.

dun":3qkhzupr said:
Wart. There are a zillion treatments. Cutting one off and feeding it to her, just cutting a couple off or just crushing a couple to get the immune system kicking in. The feeding them is in the same category as burying one in an old dish clothe under your neighbors cousins mother in laws porch. They'll either go away on their own or the crushing of a couple to kick in the immune system works as well as anything.

Had a few cows with warts on their head. Noticed them rub on tree bark or a clay bank 'till some bled. Wasn't long they were clear. From this I decided to let nature take it course.

actually if you pull a couple off it seems to stimulate an immune response from the animal. This is what my vet does all the time.

by the way Warbex will have no impact on warts.

if I remeber correctly there is some danger of using a grubicide after the grubs have become visible. Back before ivomec we used to pour on for grubs in the fall. Now I use cydectin in the fall and spring. I have not seen a grub in twenty years.

to tell the difference....

grubs will be on the topline....
the lump will be smooth and still haired. Warts do not have hair.
if you examine the lumps in grub lumps there will generally be a little hole.
the grub can be expressed through the hole.