Wanting to buy truck but need ur help w/the correct bale bed language

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I need to replace my 03 Silverado that has motorized hay spikes to haul round bales but I can't get the language to what I'm looking for right.
what the heck else are they called besides bale bed, hayspikes or Deweeze?
I can't find any new vehicle dealer that already have any of these installed but I know they are out there.
I consider "new" my best option because the interest rates are much cheaper- so far I've only found 1 dealer in Harper Ks that orders new trucks and install hay equipment/ flatbeds. Located in SC Kansas near wichita.

I'd like to have one option to compare before making this dealer an offer, trying not to get in a hurry and ol Silverado still running great but little issues starting to nickel/ dime me.....

here's the truck I want—-

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 5B6FF04D-4FB8-499A-8C5E-6F93BD00185E.jpeg
    5B6FF04D-4FB8-499A-8C5E-6F93BD00185E.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Are you wanting a spike bed or an arm bed? I've used/owned a few of the latter, but never had a spike bed. You'd be surprised at what other uses you can find for an arm bed other than just roll bales.

DewEze is located near you in Harper, KS. I've owned one of their parallel arm beds and didn't really care for it - great customer service, though. Their new pivot arm beds are interesting, but I prefer cable controls over electric solenoids.

Hydrabeds are mfg'd up in the NE corner of KS in Sabetha. We currrently have 2 of them and I don't have a bad thing to say about the beds or company - top notch product and service. The best price I could find on them was at Westgate Trailers in Missouri, my last one was installed there 2 years ago this week. https://westgatetrailer.net/

I've used some of the Cannonball/Chisolm Trail and Butler beds in the past and didn't care for them. Never been around a Besler but the design intrigues me. I'd also highly suggest the engine driven hydraulics rather than electric over hydraulic.

Best of luck.

Been running a Besler for almost 20 years now. It has outlasted 3 trucks. About all I have had to do to it is change a couple of hoses, and maintenance. We don't use it really hard like a lot of guys do, it's usually too muddy most of the year to use a truck.

You can always buy a cab and chassis truck, and get whatever bed you want installed later. The big GM dealer close to me always has a few of those on the lot. You will probably have better luck this way, you can choose whatever truck and bed combo you want, and not have to rely on whatever a dealer happens to have.

A spike bed will only allow you to transport one bale, and only pick it up and set it down. You can haul 2 or 3 bales with an arm bed, unroll them, and use it to pick up many other things, tractor tires, logs, ATVs, you name it.

I need to replace my 03 Silverado that has motorized hay spikes to haul round bales but I can't get the language to what I'm looking for right.
what the heck else are they called besides bale bed, hayspikes or Deweeze?
I can't find any new vehicle dealer that already have any of these installed but I know they are out there.
I consider "new" my best option because the interest rates are much cheaper- so far I've only found 1 dealer in Harper Ks that orders new trucks and install hay equipment/ flatbeds. Located in SC Kansas near wichita.

I'd like to have one option to compare before making this dealer an offer, trying not to get in a hurry and ol Silverado still running great but little issues starting to nickel/ dime me.....

here's the truck I want—-

Thank you in advance.
Croft Chevrolet
In alva Oklahoma

Wont help with a new dodge but anyway. They have a bunch of used

Been running a Besler for almost 20 years now. It has outlasted 3 trucks. About all I have had to do to it is change a couple of hoses, and maintenance. We don't use it really hard like a lot of guys do, it's usually too muddy most of the year to use a truck.

You can always buy a cab and chassis truck, and get whatever bed you want installed later. The big GM dealer close to me always has a few of those on the lot. You will probably have better luck this way, you can choose whatever truck and bed combo you want, and not have to rely on whatever a dealer happens to have.

A spike bed will only allow you to transport one bale, and only pick it up and set it down. You can haul 2 or 3 bales with an arm bed, unroll them, and use it to pick up many other things, tractor tires, logs, ATVs, you name it.
I'll have to look up arm beds thanks

Are you wanting a spike bed or an arm bed? I've used/owned a few of the latter, but never had a spike bed. You'd be surprised at what other uses you can find for an arm bed other than just roll bales.

DewEze is located near you in Harper, KS. I've owned one of their parallel arm beds and didn't really care for it - great customer service, though. Their new pivot arm beds are interesting, but I prefer cable controls over electric solenoids.

Hydrabeds are mfg'd up in the NE corner of KS in Sabetha. We currrently have 2 of them and I don't have a bad thing to say about the beds or company - top notch product and service. The best price I could find on them was at Westgate Trailers in Missouri, my last one was installed there 2 years ago this week. https://westgatetrailer.net/

I've used some of the Cannonball/Chisolm Trail and Butler beds in the past and didn't care for them. Never been around a Besler but the design intrigues me. I'd also highly suggest the engine driven hydraulics rather than electric over hydraulic.

Best of luck.
Now is hydra bed just the bed or does it also have hay arms ? I have horsch trailer sales right near me in viola Ks just gotta educate myself on newer style hay attachments first then choose a bed.

Now is hydra bed just the bed or does it also have hay arms ? I have horsch trailer sales right near me in viola Ks just gotta educate myself on newer style hay attachments first then choose a bed.
I got their norstar bale bed now with spikes it's worked great for 5yrs but yea can only haul one bale but that's all I've needed I haul hay to land once and done. Plus I sure like being able to back up to a hay ring, lift them with spike and never leave the truck. Not sure if a dewees can do that.

Attachments

• 4719040F-17AE-4F97-854C-44B143B025C2.jpeg
    4719040F-17AE-4F97-854C-44B143B025C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 6EF42136-9A40-482D-A920-225037D5EB0E.jpeg
    6EF42136-9A40-482D-A920-225037D5EB0E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Very nice just looked those besslers up- now can u back up to a hay ring somehow, lift it and put it on bale ? That is nice when u got one stuck in snow and ice.

Can u back up to a hay ring and lift it out of the mudd like I can with spikes?

Best of luck.
I've only ever had a spike but love it to pick up hayrings stuck in mudd, no other tractors in remote areas just me/ truck.
harper has another truck with deweeze but i wonder if I'd be more limited I really need to move hay rings quite a bit— thinking these arms might be good fit ....:

I've only ever had a spike but love it to pick up hayrings stuck in mudd, no other tractors in remote areas just me/ truck.
harper has another truck with deweeze but i wonder if I'd be more limited I really need to move hay rings quite a bit— thinking these arms might be good fit ....:
Oh man these arm beds roll out hay too??? Oh boy so excited - always wanted to be able to roll out a bale and help my soil just couldn't

Well the best thing about an arm bed is that you can unroll the bales and not use the rings, but yes, I'm sure you can back the arms in the ring and pick it up just like you could with a spike.

You can feed just as much as they will eat, it's far easier on the pasture, and there's more opportunity for every cow.

Thank u so much for your advise appreciate much.
I looked at chassis truck like U suggested found a 3500 for same price as the 2500, maybe I could put my norstar on it save some $ for now.

I bought one with a Deweze bed and feeder from Boeckman Ford in Kingfisher, Ok last year. If you call and talk to Bev they can fix you up.

Attachments

• 4CABF07D-C7BC-4883-A234-F62DC12ABDCD.jpeg
    4CABF07D-C7BC-4883-A234-F62DC12ABDCD.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 8
You can also call Cowboy Dodge in Clinton Arkansas.

Arm beds are definitely worth the money. There's just so much you can do with them on the ranch. It's like having a loader tractor with you all the time.

Last edited:
You stack hay round side to round side for the arm beds?
I keep the hay in the barn and then put enough outside on a gravel pad stacked round to round to last several days. This way I just back up grab a few rolls and go. Doing this I have very little hay waste and don't waste much time On the tractor every day. Been doing this for 3-4 years now and it works great, especially when I have to work late and am in a hurry.

Latest posts