Want to rent a hay trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

jmwe29

Reaction score
Hi, we need to haul hay and the neighbor will let us use his 8 bale in-line trailer, but don't know how much to pay him for rental. Can't find anything online to guide off of. Do you pay by the loaded mile or by the bale, or what, and how much would be reasonable? We live in Missouri. Thanks for any input.

jmwe29":2brke343 said:
Hi, we need to haul hay and the neighbor will let us use his 8 bale in-line trailer, but don't know how much to pay him for rental. Can't find anything online to guide off of. Do you pay by the loaded mile or by the bale, or what, and how much would be reasonable? We live in Missouri. Thanks for any input.

I think 50 bucks and cleaning it up nicer than what you got it would do.

Really depends on how many bales and how far. 10 loads @ 10 miles round trip means $50 is far too cheap. Not cheap to keep things maintained, especially anything with tires. I think a dollar per bale, multiplied by number of miles one way would be reasonable to determine a price per load. So 8 bales at 5 miles one way would be $40 a load.

In the end, if the neighbor thinks you overpaid, let him decide what it was worth. Far better to be generous with a good neighbor than to try and do it as cheaply as possible.

Anything goes wrong (blown tire, etc.) you replace and deduct from what you owe him before you return trailer.

Your fortunate, I would never let anyone else use my equipment, but I would haul it for you.

I can rent a 32' dual tandem gooseneck here for $50/day with $200 deposit that's refunded if trailer is returned in same condition. For an 8 bale trailer I'd offer $50 and wash it before you return it.

skyhightree1":lp436ksk said:
jmwe29":lp436ksk said:

Or $20 and a 30-pack and let him ride with you. :nod:

TexasBred":219u6cm6 said:
skyhightree1":219u6cm6 said:
jmwe29":219u6cm6 said:

Or $20 and a 30-pack and let him ride with you. :nod:

:lol2:

Thanks all for the input. I'll pass along the suggestions to my husband and see what he thinks. Like someone said, tires aren't cheap, and that's what I'm concerned about more than anything.

jmwe29":w27pmefh said:
Thanks all for the input. I'll pass along the suggestions to my husband and see what he thinks. Like someone said, tires aren't cheap, and that's what I'm concerned about more than anything.

I know I busted a haybine tire on a t post that had been broken off.

Aaron":2urgc0c7 said:
Really depends on how many bales and how far. 10 loads @ 10 miles round trip means $50 is far too cheap. Not cheap to keep things maintained, especially anything with tires. I think a dollar per bale, multiplied by number of miles one way would be reasonable to determine a price per load. So 8 bales at 5 miles one way would be $40 a load.

In the end, if the neighbor thinks you overpaid, let him decide what it was worth. Far better to be generous with a good neighbor than to try and do it as cheaply as possible.

Anything goes wrong (blown tire, etc.) you replace and deduct from what you owe him before you return trailer.

Your fortunate, I would never let anyone else use my equipment, but I would haul it for you.
Dam Aaron, at thise prices I doubt you have to worry about loaning anything :lol2: . How much do you charge to borrow your pocket knife to open a letter? $20?

I wouldn't rent mine to anybody, might loan it to a good friend or two. Expectations would be that it returned in the same shape it left in.

Isomade":1ziewm75 said:
Aaron":1ziewm75 said:

Dam Aaron, at thise prices I doubt you have to worry about loaning anything :lol2: . How much do you charge to borrow your pocket knife to open a letter? $20?

Can't change the fact that it isn't cheap to operate equipment these days. I'm enjoying watching the extreme end of that scale with my moron Mennonite neighbor as he continues to sucker people into lending him equipment, only to wreck it and not fork over a dime for it. So far he has trashed two round balers, done enough damage to require open surgery on a TW-20 Ford tractor, banged a seed drill up pretty good and I am not sure of the status of his mo-co - probably terminal. I know for a fact, that the owner of the tractor is out 11k.

Nobody wants my old equipment anyways. Majority of people would quit farming if they had to rely on it.

Aaron If you owned an ATM I would hate to see the fee's you would charge on that thing :lol2: Just teasing you.. In all honestly renting out is the same as lending to me if you lend something out be sure its something you can afford to loose same as if someone borrows money. I never lend money to anyone however I will lend stuff out to certain people.

We've had plenty of bad experiences lending stuff out- neighbors did an enormous amount of damage to a Kinze planter, probably tried to move it loaded. Years ago someone trashed an earth scraper and just brought it back and left without one word. The neighbors got more use out of our Bobcat than we did, leaving us with the repair bills on a tire and wheel. And neighbors got more use out of a backhoe than we did. So the Bobcat and backhoe got sold, and the frame on the planter got welded and braced, not an easy job, but it's actually level. We don't lend anymore, which is why I plan on insisting on paying rent for that hay trailer.