Want Solitude?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Want solitude? We drove about 25 miles over to Malhuer Reservoir where I have gone fishing in the past. Wanted to check the water level. It was up a lot from the last time I fished over there. For a change in scenery we took a different route going home. We took the road to Huntington which is 23 miles. About 48 miles on gravel road on a Saturday afternoon. We met one car the entire trip. There was 2 guys fishing with a little camp set up about a mile up from where I fish. They were the only other people there. Pictures looking up the reservoir, down the reservoir, and last time I fished here I drove another 300-400 feet out on to a point. Under water now.

P6033095.JPGP6033096.JPGP6033097.JPG

Is it public land?
Not certain. That part of the world is a mix of BLM and private. There is boat launch and a couple out houses so they expect the public to use it. If a person were just fishing from the shore no one would care. In the past I have seen as many as 20 people fishing from the shore

How beautiful.

One thing about Oregon there's only 4 million people and most life up by Portland.
I think this is in Malhuer county but it is somewhere near the Baker/Malhuer county line. The 3 counties in the greater Portland area have a population of about 1.6 million. Baker and Malhuer combined have a population of about 47,500. And about 22,000 live in either Baker City or the city of Ontario. The combined area of those 2 counties is 13,018 square miles which is bigger than any of the 9 smallest states. In a straight line between my place and that reservoir it is about 20 miles. That straight line crosses over one little two rut dirt road. There is a lot of open space around here.

I miss Eastern Oregon. Completed my MS in Rangeland Resources there. Three summer seasons of 'camping' at the Eastern Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station outside of LaGrande on Catherine Creek.

I've been to Malhuer Resivor. had a fellow student at the time who was an employee at the Malhuer National Wildlife Refuge. Malhuer got 'put on the map' several years back with an uprising by local, and not so local, ranchers.

I miss Eastern Oregon. Completed my MS in Rangeland Resources there. Three summer seasons of 'camping' at the Eastern Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station outside of LaGrande on Catherine Creek.

I've been to Malhuer Resivor. had a fellow student at the time who was an employee at the Malhuer National Wildlife Refuge. Malhuer got 'put on the map' several years back with an uprising by local, and not so local, ranchers.
I don't know if you realize there is a considerable difference between Malhuer wildlife refuge and Malhuer Lake which are both south of Burns Oregon and the Malhuer reservoir which is in northwest Malhuer county. They are nearly 100 miles apart as the crow flies. Not much between the two. Only 2 paved roads and 3 or 4 one horse towns (maybe one pony towns).

I don't know if you realize there is a considerable difference between Malhuer wildlife refuge and Malhuer Lake which are both south of Burns Oregon and the Malhuer reservoir which is in northwest Malhuer county. They are nearly 100 miles apart as the crow flies. Not much between the two. Only 2 paved roads and 3 or 4 one horse towns (maybe one pony towns).
I didn't. Was there a long time ago (slept since then) and it was a brief visit - a day. Thanks for clarifying.

Here is a picture I took a few years ago. It was taken from the ridge north of the reservoir looking southwest. The reservoir would just to the left out of the picture kind of close to the base of that hill. You can see it is a long ways to anything. Actually a long ways to nothing and when you get there it is still more nothing. Just some very well scattered cows and a few cowboys on horses which can travel. And you don't see them from the road.

P9041591.JPG

Here is a picture I took a few years ago. It was taken from the ridge north of the reservoir looking southwest. The reservoir would just to the left out of the picture kind of close to the base of that hill. You can see it is a long ways to anything. Actually a long ways to nothing and when you get there it is still more nothing. Just some very well scattered cows and a few cowboys on horses which can travel. And you don't see them from the road.

View attachment 30893
"Nothing" is a bit of an interpretation. It isn't for everyone, but I rather enjoy that country when I'm out in it. Long way to any sign of civilization.

"Nothing" is a bit of an interpretation. It isn't for everyone, but I rather enjoy that country when I'm out in it. Long way to any sign of civilization.
Well it isn't nothing. But there is nothing but what you see and you can see for ever. You are right it is not for everyone. And I like it that way, it keeps them from moving here. I have had urban relatives tell me that I live in the middle of no where. I reply that I live in the middle of God's creation and they live in the middle of what man built. Personally I prefer God's work.

I actually worked one year at that experiment station. I think it was 1987

The big skies and low humidity make it quite different from what I am used to here in Kentucky.
When I went out west as a young man that was what made my jaw drop.
Still, I love the green and closeness of home.

Latest posts