Walther PPK?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Do any of you ever see any Walther PPKs' that work well. I am a NRA pistol instructor and more then half of the Walther PPKs I see don't cycle ammo very well and it seems that unless you have really small hands they are a rather abusive gun to shoot. Just had another one this weekend that we could not get to work at all. It amazes me how many types of pistols that are manufactured that don't work.

The problem I found with them is like a lot of other older designs, only FMJs feed reliably

hayray":gsz5wvmf said:
Do any of you ever see any Walther PPKs' that work well. I am a NRA pistol instructor and more then half of the Walther PPKs I see don't cycle ammo very well and it seems that unless you have really small hands they are a rather abusive gun to shoot. Just had another one this weekend that we could not get to work at all. It amazes me how many types of pistols that are manufactured that don't work.

I had the Walther .32 PPK in stainless, many years ago. It too had jams regardless of the ammunition brand used. Got rid of it and went to the Sig Sauer 9mm which was flawless.

I had one that jammed all the time too. I ended up trading it off.

Strange because James Bond never seems to have this problem???

They require what I refer to as a hard hold. Being a mouse gun people don;t take them seriously and don;t hold them like the need to. I have a AMT .22 Backup that the cop I got it from dumped it because it alwasy jammed. In 10 years I've never had a jam but my wife can;t shoot it. Her Star Firestar and Sig 226 both funtion perfectly for her, butthoe are the only semi autos that will.
You would think that the PPK wouldn;t have stayed in production and been as popular for so long if it had a jamming problem.

I don't wont to hijack this tred but dun mentioned the Sig 226 i have been looking at a sig what dose every body think of them thank's

rattler

rattler":402cd9f0 said:
I don't wont to hijack this tred but dun mentioned the Sig 226 i have been looking at a sig what dose every body think of them thank's

rattler

High quality in the metal guns, don;t know about the plastic ones. But based on their track record I would think they're top quality.

rattler":k8qv7ndu said:

rattler

The P226 is the one I owned and it was an incredible pistol. Never had a problem with it. It was easy to tear down, clean and put back together. I prefer the metal ones only because of the various modifications that can made.

Another to consider and quite as pricey as the Sig is Springfield Armories XDM9 with a capacity of 19+1.

BeefmasterB":uvjneope said:
rattler":uvjneope said:

rattler

The P226 is the one I owned and it was an incredible pistol. Never had a problem with it. It was easy to tear down, clean and put back together. I prefer the metal ones only because of the various modifications that can made.

Another to consider and quite as pricey as the Sig is Springfield Armories XDM9 with a capacity of 19+1.

I don;t know if it's fair to compare anything with a P226. I think you could lay it on the ground and throw rocks at the trigger and it would cycle perfectly and probably sill put all the brass in a 5 gal bucket.

rattler":70i82hql said:

rattler
I have a Sig 226 and those are nice guns. I like the double/single action and the de-cocker mechanism also and like the idea that there is no thumb safety. Those thumb safetys on the Berretas and the Rugers are dangerous. Dun must be the only person I know of who got a .22 AMT to work and be able to call it a back up, that must be why he is a Mentor to us all.

Dave":3qixpo89 said:
I had one that jammed all the time too. I ended up trading it off.

Strange because James Bond never seems to have this problem???
Its gotta be the James Bond movies that made this gun so popular because it sure is not becuase of how good they work. The Walther .40 S&W polymer work real good.

hayray":3v7s65gy said:
Dun must be the only person I know of who got a .22 AMT to work and be able to call it a back up,

The cop I got it from felt the same way. Once I got the lint out of it from him carrying it in his sock I've never had a problem, won;t cycle with any of the shot shells though.

hayray":u91ofcu3 said:
rattler":u91ofcu3 said:

rattler
I have a Sig 226 and those are nice guns. I like the double/single action and the de-cocker mechanism also and like the idea that there is no thumb safety. Those thumb safetys on the Berretas and the Rugers are dangerous. Dun must be the only person I know of who got a .22 AMT to work and be able to call it a back up, that must be why he is a Mentor to us all.

I had a ruger 94 in 40 sw i dident like it at all.

rattler

Thank's for all the info on the sig.

dun":1pfl83js said:
hayray":1pfl83js said:
Dun must be the only person I know of who got a .22 AMT to work and be able to call it a back up,

The cop I got it from felt the same way. Once I got the lint out of it from him carrying it in his sock I've never had a problem, won;t cycle with any of the shot shells though.

When comes to 22 Semi's the best in my book would have to be Ruger 22/45, I call it the hornets nest.
Works flawlessly if I hit the woods or pasture it is on the tractor,mule or me. Little tricky on the tear down.

Caustic Burno":3ek449c6 said:
dun":3ek449c6 said:
hayray":3ek449c6 said:

When comes to 22 Semi's the best in my book would have to be Ruger 22/45, I call it the hornets nest.
Works flawlessly if I hit the woods or pasture it is on the tractor,mule or me. Little tricky on the tear down.

My favorites 22 pistols have been a HIgh STandard, Colt Woodsman, Colt Service Model Ace (the original one), Colt 22 (came out in the early 90s) and the S&W 22A. Never have had much liking for any of the Rugers. But the only one that drops into a pocket is still the AMT .22 Backup. That's the one that is in my pocket 90% of the time. The S&W Airweight 642 has started taking it's place though. The 22 is alright for the farm but I feel better with a 38 for going to town

One of the worst .22 LR pistols I have ever seen is the Ruger Mark 11. You would be better off throwing that gun at a target then shooting it as much as those guns don't like feeding ammo.

Latest posts