Walmart Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Went into Sulphur Springs Texas to pick up a few things. Plenty of fresh produce. No ground meat just a few ribeyes, no chicken, 1 roll of JC potter sausage and about six rolls of jimmy dean all 1 lb rolls.Eggs in short supply six regular 18 in a carton eggs and 12 farmland brown eggs 18 count carton. No flour what so ever. Went on line and there is some available through amazon and e-bay. Most priced at 1.50 to 2.00 dollars a pound and un-godly shipping charges. Could get really rough before we get past this pandemic and get the pipeline open again.

hurleyjd said:
Went into Sulphur Springs Texas to pick up a few things. Plenty of fresh produce. No ground meat just a few ribeyes, no chicken, 1 roll of JC potter sausage and about six rolls of jimmy dean all 1 lb rolls.Eggs in short supply six regular 18 in a carton eggs and 12 farmland brown eggs 18 count carton. No flour what so ever. Went on line and there is some available through amazon and e-bay. Most priced at 1.50 to 2.00 dollars a pound and un-godly shipping charges. Could get really rough before we get past this pandemic and get the pipeline open again.

I sent 3 to the sale barn this morning. One old cow, a bull calf that I had not worked, but was a pain in the a$$ and one extremely small heifer that was just not growing.

To get to the point, I was told that everything that was bought today (unless it could be prime) was going straight from the sale barn directly to the slaughterhouse for hamburger.

I just scheduled to take my personal beef to the processor and he said that people were really buying up steers that are even close to being feed out to stock up their freezers for themselves.

Local grocery stores are completely stocked, here. Walmart is completely empty. Rumor is that Walmart employees are behind the hoarding.

JWBrahman said:
Local grocery stores are completely stocked, here. Walmart is completely empty. Rumor is that Walmart employees are behind the hoarding.

I don't normally shop at Walmart, but beef and chicken are in short supply at all stores here. I went in at 7:00 am on Thursday morning and all they had at one market was packs of hamburger and it was a limit of one per customer.

I'm about to put a 8'x8' freezer in the basement. If it had been filled up 2 or 3 weeks ago, could have sold all the contents by now.

Have been letting small amounts of ground beef go to friends and family. Currently have orders for 4 whole animals this fall. And that should only increase as time goes by. Hopefully they honor the order. We are honoring our side and getting some ready. Going ahead and getting 10 on feed. Pretty sure they'll go.

Wish I had some help to get a 2 or 3 acre garden going and sell some produce. Im positive it would be a good move.

People are realizing where food comes from again, at least in this area.

sstterry - were there many animals brought in yesterday? Sure didn't see the usual amount of stock trailers headed down the valley as a normal Saturday would have. Can I also ask how they did?

ClinchValley86 said:
I'm about to put a 8'x8' freezer in the basement. If it had been filled up 2 or 3 weeks ago, could have sold all the contents by now.

Have been letting small amounts of ground beef go to friends and family. Currently have orders for 4 whole animals this fall. And that should only increase as time goes by. Hopefully they honor the order. We are honoring our side and getting some ready. Going ahead and getting 10 on feed. Pretty sure they'll go.

Wish I had some help to get a 2 or 3 acre garden going and sell some produce. Im positive it would be a good move.

People are realizing where food comes from again, at least in this area.

sstterry - were there many animals brought in yesterday? Sure didn't see the usual amount of stock trailers headed down the valley as a normal Saturday would have. Can I also ask how they did?

Crockett has 250 head this week normal is 1500 or better.

My family usually handles butchering calves and they were not on top if it, as usual, so we are pretty low on hamburger. Luckily I have a deep freeze full of deer, fish, doves, etc. Found a whole turkey and ham also from work last year, also. :) My son shot a wild turkey last week which is not prime meat by any means but it's better than standing in line with the crazies.

Definitely going to butcher my own calf this year. This was a good reminder.

We sold 2 older cows, a bull yearling that had been giving me hell, and a dink heifer who's mom died last year... basically cleaned house a little. We were very pleased with all the prices.

ClinchValley86 said:

848 head sold yesterday. Last week it was 365. Bear in mind that this was the first dry Saturday we have had in several weeks. It makes me nervous when the public is not allowed into the sale barn. Only 10 buyers allowed in (as per the Governor's virus rules). I won't get my check until Tuesday or Wednesday but here is the sale report.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ams_2070.pdf

JWBrahman said:

It's hard to hoard on $12 an hour.....

sstterry said:
ClinchValley86 said:

848 head sold yesterday. Last week it was 365. Bear in mind that this was the first dry Saturday we have had in several weeks. It makes me nervous when the public is not allowed into the sale barn. Only 10 buyers allowed in (as per the Governor's virus rules). I won't get my check until Tuesday or Wednesday but here is the sale report.

THose prices are about last Fall prices, maybe a little up. If they are not up any this time of year historically Fall they will even be less. I hope I am wrong...

sstterry said:
ClinchValley86 said:

I was under the impression Tennessee had no rules whatsoever regarding the Chinese Virus. What do you mean the public wasn't allowed in the sale barn?

https://newschannel9.com/news/local/tennessees-governor-limits-social-gatherings-amid-covid-19-outbreak

rom the Governor's office...

Executive Order 17 prohibits social gatherings of 10 or more people and also enacts the following provisions regarding restaurants, bars, and similar food and drink establishments:

Establishments are to exclusively offer drive-thru, take-out or delivery options to support families, businesses and the food supply chain during this emergency.

Establishments may sell alcohol by take-out or delivery (with the purchase of food) in closed containers to those who are age 21 and up.

Gyms and fitness/exercise centers or substantially similar facilities are to temporarily close and suspend in-person services until April 6, 2020. In the interim, these businesses are encouraged to pursue digital programming if possible.

The order also pursues additional measures to keep vulnerable populations such as the elderly and those with underlying conditions safe.

Visitation to nursing homes, retirement homes, and long-term care or assisted-living facilities is now limited to visits involving essential care only.

Businesses are encouraged to enact policies that take extra steps to assist vulnerable populations by considering measures such as shopping hours exclusive from the general public.

jltrent said:
sstterry said:
ClinchValley86 said:

THose prices are about last Fall prices, maybe a little up. If they are not up any this time of year historically Fall they will even be less. I hope I am wrong...
Last week, kill cows were way up. This week down again.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'll be darned, looks like the state is actually trying to do something after all.

And still 49th. That order was issued about 2 weeks ago.

Are you sure that's not the college football power rankings you're reading?

Maybe they're delaying their response in hopes that the season gets cancelled. Can't lose games you don't play.

Latest posts